VPI Aries Scout with LED circle

VPI Aries Scout with LED circle

Postby VPI-ELY » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:30 am

12_highend_turntable_LED_Light_DSC03403.jpg
12_highend_turntable_LED_Light_DSC03403.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 638 times
13_coloured_vinyl_DSC03338.jpg
13_coloured_vinyl_DSC03338.jpg (3.99 MiB) Viewed 638 times
This is my new (used) VPI Aries Scout. I've been after one of these particular models for years as I believe it's one of the best looking turntables ever made! Not that it's about looks, but I'm sure once set up properly it will sound amazing from what I've read on here. I collect a lot of coloured vinyl and so I've installed an LED light kit on it as well. I've included some shots of coloured vinyl too.
Attachments
03_led_circle_turntable_close_glow_DSC03332.jpg
03_led_circle_turntable_close_glow_DSC03332.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 638 times
01_led_circle_turntable_DSC03334.jpg
01_led_circle_turntable_DSC03334.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 638 times
02_coloured_vinyl_DSC03361.jpg
02_coloured_vinyl_DSC03361.jpg (3.71 MiB) Viewed 638 times
VPI-ELY

Re: VPI Aries Scout with LED circle

Postby Dorian » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pm

That light is cool! How and where did you install it?
VPI Prime & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF Reference 1 | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby madrac » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:00 pm

Very cool.
Classic 1 w/3D arm, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook,
Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HP,
Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby VPI-ELY » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks for the comments. I sourced a place here in the UK that actually make LED circles for the automotive industry and I wired it up myself and have it hooked up to a 12 volt, 2 amp MAINS power supply.
A friend of mine (also with a VPI Scout with the clear platter) here in the UK said I should sell them after he saw it, so I took some pictures and put the full kit I've made onto eBay. The kit has a UK MAINS AC power plug, however a 12 volt, 2 amp power supply can be bought online in almost any country with the correct (for your country) wall socket, so if anyone outside the UK wants just the circle ring with the wired up adapter ready to plug in (directly to the power supply) I could set up a listing just for the LED circle. These are not cheap and nasty LEDs, they have a lovely pure white, quite bright, and diffused quality which is ideal for these particular turntables with the thick clear platter. And awesome for coloured vinyl. I experimented for weeks with different type LEDs, sizes, circle circumference etc and this is the final result. I also made sure that it could be easily hooked up to a MIANS adaptor, which as it turns out also makes it very universal. More importantly I made sure that the LED ring and small circuit did not create any hum or interference issues, and it doesn't sit too close to the platter when it's spinning. Nothing to be heard at all and no issues. I trialled 4 different types of LED sets and the first one I tried (the cheapest) did create a bizarre hum, so I soon realised that it all needed to be good quality kit. The fourth incarnation (as seen in the pictures) was the one that really worked and made the VPI shine!
It takes about 60 seconds to install and is super easy! I actually used blu-tack to secure it in place because I didn't want to risk any nasty type adhesives damaging the VPI plinth. It works well and I don't know of a better alternative that works so well.

If you search the following on Ebay UK...
LED Lighting Kit (circle) for VPI Turntable Record Player with AC Power Supply
you will see it listed on Ebay UK with more photos showing how it is secured in place on the plinth.

As I mentioned, if anyone wants the LED ring wired up ready to go, to suit an adaptor (in your country) please just let me know? :-)
VPI-ELY

Return to Customer Pictures