Advice on upgrading from Cadenza Black on Prime

Re: Advice on upgrading from Cadenza Black on Prime

Postby Gshepardbuster » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:25 pm

mmai, Yes I'm using the P Ring with a 3mm Achromat without issue.
Gshepardbuster

Postby mmai » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:10 am

Gshepardbuster wrote:mmai, Yes I'm using the P Ring with a 3mm Achromat without issue.

Thanks for the confirmation.
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out), Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II & AT33Mono, Aesthetix Rhea
mmai

Postby EdAInWestOC » Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am

I don't know if you've made a purchase and have already upgraded but I have another suggestion.

If you are willing to spend the money, the Ortofon Windfeld Ti is a superb cartridge. It is not overly analytical but it extracts tons of detail. The high frequencies are as smooth as silk without any smearing of any content. The Windfeld Ti is neutral by far. If you are looking for a cartridge to add something to the sound this isn't that device.

It is deadly neutral with superb detail reproduction. It has no tonal character of its own but it rather just reproduces whatever you place on the platter. To my way of thinking this is exactly what a cartridge should be. Let the LP provide the tonal character.

The Windfeld Ti is neutral, detailed and not at all polite sounding. It has the ability to hit you in the face with tons of slam or sing you to sleep depending on what you play. It is one outstanding cartridge but it will cost you. Ortofon sells them for $4390 USD but they are worth every penny.

The Windfeld Ti is an over achiever at its price point and thats an odd thing to say about a $4400 cartridge. It is expensive but it is worth far more than Ortofon charges for them. My salesman related a conversation he had with an Ortofon rep. It turns out that internally Ortofon knows they have an excellent cartridge with the Windfeld Ti. Many even think its the equal to the A95 for $2000 less than that cartridge. Like the A95 the Windfeld Ti also has the ability to make LPs sound quieter. A strange thing to experience if you have never heard a cartridge do this before.

The Windfeld Ti is like the A95 and the Anna in that the Windfeld Ti's body is made by the Selective Laser Melting process. The body for the Windfeld Ti is made by melting Titanium powder into a resonance free body. Its a 3D printing kind of process that creates the body for the cartridge.

The stylus for the Windfeld Ti is the same used on all 3 of their top designs. It the Ortofon Replicant 100 stylus on a boron cantilever. The Windfeld Ti is a very easy cartridge to align. The cantilever projects forward from the lower front edge of the body and this allows you to easily align the cantilever over an alignment pattern.

The Windfeld Ti has lower output than the first Windfeld design. The Windfeld Ti is spec'd to produce 0.2mv/ch so you should consider what you are using in your phono preamp chain if you seriously consider this cartridge.

The Windfeld Ti looks a bit like a Cadenza cartridge but thats where the similarity ends. Internally they are totally different cartridges.

Highly recommended,
Ed
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
http://www.edsstuff.org
Prime|3 Drive Belts|2nd Pivot|ADS|Ortofon Windfeld Ti|AQ Leopard|Sky 30|Liberty B2B-1|MW-1
EdAInWestOC

Postby Dorian » Fri May 04, 2018 11:48 am

Dorian wrote:
jonathanb wrote:What thickness achromat do you mean, 3mm or 5mm? A 5mm is too thick to use with the VPI outer ring.

Actually, I just acquired the VPI Outer Ring and it works great with my 5mm Boston Audio Mat2. I saw one other poster had said the same thing too fairly recently (can't remember which thread).

I just wanted to update this, for future reference. It turned out the 5mm mat was too big for the outer ring to properly lock down. I also switched to the 3mm Achromat and it works great. Have been running that combo for a month now and it's great.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner