Battle against the static pop

Battle against the static pop

Postby Wxm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 pm

I am still new to the Scout 2 with aluminum platter, and have been battling with the loud static pops through the speakers when I touch the arm at end of each playing. The player otherwise works perfect, it sounds really nice. No humming during the playing. Does anyone has other suggestions?

My current configuration is: Scout (re-bodied Denon 103R) -> ARC PH3 -> ARC SP-11 (I have another table on the phono of SP11, hence PH3). I tried adding and removing a Falcon PSU to the power supply of the Scout. None seems to make any difference. The Scout junction box ground is connect to PH3 ground. All plugged in to an Forman PH-PRO II power condition.
Wxm

Re: Battle against the static pop

Postby elader » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:30 am

try grounding the platter bearing (from under the table) to the junction box ground. That may help.

Also, in the winter,if I dont use a mat and a zerostat, I have a ton of static. So in cold months, it's a leather mat for me.
VPI Prime, BenzMicro Glider, VPI SDS, Cinemag SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, Primaluna Prologue 5
REGA Apollo R, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
elader

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 am

Try grounding your body before touching the tonearm. What you are experiencing is a static discharge from your body to the tonearm. Don't wear wool socks or slippers over carpet as this will create a lot of static. You can also spray static guard on the carpet in from of your turntable stand.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:51 am

+1 again for Brf... what he wrote is spot on.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby homey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 pm

A good habit I do is to touch my equipment stand before any stereo equipment and discharge any built up static due to twirling. Be prepared for a shock!!!
homey

Postby homey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 pm

A good habit I do is to touch my equipment stand before any stereo equipment and discharge any built up static due to twirling. Be prepared for a shock!!!
homey

Postby Golear » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:55 am

You can carry a metal object in your pocket. Then when you approach the equipment rack, take the metal out of your pocket and use that to touch the equipment rack. The spark of static will shoot from the end of the metal to the equipment rack, so you'd be spared the shock.

I touch the equipment rack with my watch strap - which is stainless steel. Works well, too.
Golear

Postby WntrMute » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

Golear wrote:You can carry a metal object in your pocket. Then when you approach the equipment rack, take the metal out of your pocket and use that to touch the equipment rack. The spark of static will shoot from the end of the metal to the equipment rack, so you'd be spared the shock.

I touch the equipment rack with my watch strap - which is stainless steel. Works well, too.

But how does it sound compared to the 3D watchband? :lol:
WntrMute

Postby pscm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 pm

I installed a 1k ohm resistor to a ground so when I touch I don't get snapped. Once in a blue moon I will see a little spark but still no shock. Any resistor size to slow down the discharge will work although it will need to have a moderate resistance to work.
VPI Scout Junior, Jolida 302B (modified for KT88's), Snell type C's
pscm

Return to Mat's Corner