Piano or Rosewood

Piano or Rosewood

Postby Mat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:49 am

Which do you like better? 8-)

Yes, at 2 in the morning I'm looking at pictures of different Prime Signature finishes :P
Attachments
AVPITTPRMSIGR.jpg
AVPITTPRMSIGR.jpg (319.7 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
AVPITTPRMSIG.jpg
AVPITTPRMSIG.jpg (234.47 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Re: Piano or Rosewood

Postby tony22 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:01 am

I can go only by the pictures - haven't seen the Rosewood in person, but based on that I prefer the piano black. If I was going to go Rosewood I'd want it to be the real thing (sustainable of course).
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:30 am

The Rosewood immediately catches your eye, but the black is better for the long haul.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Packgrog » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 am

The correct answer is "Yes, please!" :D

I think both are gorgeous, but the black is definitely more my style.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby JimTimP » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:56 am

I have the black. The rosewood would not work well in my room due to color variations. All the wood in my room is solid cherry. And on that note, the black would work in most room decor.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:38 am

Even assuming that the rosewood is the genuine article and even more beautiful in person, I still prefer piano black. That’s the signature finish for the new line of VPI tables and more in keeping with their industrial style. On the other hand, a Classic plinth in rosewood works very well. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Mat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:13 am

I'm up in the air because I think the black works with more types of rooms but the rosewood is really beautiful especially in person. Also this is a real wood veneer... no wrap on this ;)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am

Mat wrote:I'm up in the air because I think the black works with more types of rooms but the rosewood is really beautiful especially in person. Also this is a real wood veneer... no wrap on this ;)

Both are equally beautiful. The black is more traditional but I am certain a number of folks would be down to the rosewood. I think a Ferrari red would be awesome for a 3rd option.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Kgl936 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:26 pm

For me, Rosewood by miles!! It’s beautiful and really makes this turntable stand out and look classy. I see I’m in the minority but I abhor black hi fi components and go out of my way to never buy anything that’s black.

I love the finish on my Rosewood Classic 4! :P
Kgl936

Postby tony22 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:43 am

It's funny. I saw @Orchids1 comment and agreed. For some reason I think the Classic pulls off rosewood better than the Prime. The Prime - and Avenger for that matter - have a purposeful industrial look that seems to make an organic finish like this harder to pull off.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Next

Return to Mat's Corner