Quieter amotor for the VPI Classic series

Quieter amotor for the VPI Classic series

Postby Jbelben » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi Mat

I have asked this question before, but I don’t recall receiving a definitive answer. Are there any plans to procure a quieter motor for the VPI CLassic series?

If not would VPI support the idea of a potential Crowd Funding project to source such an item and make it available through VPI, or at a minimum would VPI provide the spec’s to a potential third party?

Thanks

Jerry
Jbelben

Re: Quieter amotor for the VPI Classic series

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:44 pm

VPI does not offer optional motor options for the Classic series, although one could use any motor they want as a retro fit. The best source of information would be some of the DIY websites. Perhaps you have a one off noisy motor which could be remedied by just changing the stock motor.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby audiom3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Jbelben wrote:Hi Mat

I have asked this question before, but I don’t recall receiving a definitive answer. Are there any plans to procure a quieter motor for the VPI CLassic series?

If not would VPI support the idea of a potential Crowd Funding project to source such an item and make it available through VPI, or at a minimum would VPI provide the spec’s to a potential third party?

Thanks

Jerry

I can't hear my motor in between songs through headphones on my vinyl rips. That's a place where I can hear a pin drop. Or maybe it's there somewhere but surface noise > motor noise. How and what exactly are you hearing?
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby tony22 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:45 pm

I have no motor noise on my Classic.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Jbelben » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 pm

I hear motor noise between every song and at the end of each LP.

Thanks

Jerry
Jbelben

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Jbelben wrote:I hear motor noise between every song and at the end of each LP.

Thanks

Jerry

Have you tried a drop or two of oil down the motor shaft below the brass bushing?
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby macster » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:38 pm

You may want to contact VPI directly about this. Also, when I had my Classic and was going thru this. I tried an outboard motor assy like the ones on the Aires and Primes. Your dealer may be able to set you up with a loaner to see if it suits your needs.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby Jbelben » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. What was the end result of your investigation and research?

Thanks
Jbelben

Postby macster » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

It was definitely quiet, but I couldn't get pass some "personal" things that were going on at the time. If your dealer can set you up, it should be a good solution. Email Harry to see what he thinks the best way to go about this. I'm sure that he has tried everything. If I get another Classic, I will most definitely use the outboard configuration. It will cover a multitude of sins.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Return to Mat's Corner