The Fatboy

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:49 pm

Guss2 wrote:PG, where did you hear the trade up program was ending this year and when? Thanks, Gary.

Maybe I dreamt it, but I remember a post from Mat early on where it was stated that the trade-in program would run through 12/31/18.

I’m not a VPI spokesperson, so you will want to confirm. I’ll do a search here and see if I can find the post.
Peer Gynt

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:03 am

Peer, I’m assuming that most people who are considering a Fatboy already have a good VPI tonearm, probably a 3D. It’s been said, and not just by cartridge manufacturers, that a cartridge is responsible for 50% of a table’s sound quality. That’s been my experience as well. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:38 am

Orchids1 wrote:Peer, I’m assuming that most people who are considering a Fatboy already have a good VPI tonearm, probably a 3D. It’s been said, and not just by cartridge manufacturers, that a cartridge is responsible for 50% of a table’s sound quality. That’s been my experience as well. Rich

I first heard this idea over 50 years ago when it may have been true. Actually, they allotted about half to the cartridge and about half to the speakers.

My experience is that this allocation is grossly skewed.

Cartridges and speakers are important, but you’ve got to get the other stuff right too, and if you don’t, the extra money on cartridges and speakershas been wasted.

Put an Atlas on a Rega 3 and play it off against a Cadenza Bronze on a Levinson 515. They’ll both be nice, even your wife will pick the winner.
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:02 am

fischerd wrote:
Maybe, but there are other factors to consider, as least for me. One, everyone I've talked with has said the Fatboy is much easier to set up with the threaded counterweight. It is likely that most will be able to dial in their cartridge more easily (unless you have a setup expert do the cartridge installation), leading to better improvements out of their current or future cartridge.

You got that right, that’s for sure. The screw driven circular counterweight on the Levinson/VPI arm is a joy compared to the eccentric sliding counterweight on my Classic.

It is even an issue “for experts.” Due to the gimbal and the screw adjustment, the Levinson/VPI can be set up very quickly. This is one of my main motivations to trade for a gimbal Fatboy.
Peer Gynt

Postby tom collins » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:15 am

I would disagree a little about the difficulty of setting up the unipivot arms. With the counter intuitive and adjust plus program, it is not difficult to accomplish. Last weekend, my friend and I reset my 12.7 in about 20 mins. I am told that the 2nd pivot point helps this process as well.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Dorian » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:24 am

tom collins wrote:I would disagree a little about the difficulty of setting up the unipivot arms. With the counter intuitive and adjust plus program, it is not difficult to accomplish. Last weekend, my friend and I reset my 12.7 in about 20 mins. I am told that the 2nd pivot point helps this process as well.

Agree with this completely and I’ll also add the Acoustical Systems SMARTractor. That plus counter intuitive and Adjust+ make set up a breeze. Of course that is approx $1000 worth of set up tools...
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:35 am

tom collins wrote:I would disagree a little about the difficulty of setting up the unipivot arms. With the counter intuitive and adjust plus program, it is not difficult to accomplish. Last weekend, my friend and I reset my 12.7 in about 20 mins. I am told that the 2nd pivot point helps this process as well.

Disagreement here is really a moot point.

In the best case, I can do a gimbal in 5 minutes.

I could probably make 20 minutes with more experience on the unipivot.

But it’s not a contest.

Have you ever set up a gimbal? If the answer is yes, and you still prefer the so called unipivot dual pivot Counterintuitive.... well .... that’s why we have choices.
Peer Gynt

Postby Guss2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:
Guss2 wrote:PG, where did you hear the trade up program was ending this year and when? Thanks, Gary.

Maybe I dreamt it, but I remember a post from Mat early on where it was stated that the trade-in program would run through 12/31/18.

I’m not a VPI spokesperson, so you will want to confirm. I’ll do a search here and see if I can find the post.

I spoke with my dealer and he has confirmed this date to be accurate. Thanks PG
Guss2

Postby Dorian » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:21 pm

If gimbals are easier to set up and by all accounts on here have comparable, albeit perhaps just slightly different sound, why did VPI go with unipivots for so long? I don't know the history, so excuse my ignorance. Is the gimbal a relatively new technology advancement, perhaps?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Dorian wrote:If gimbals are easier to set up and by all accounts on here have comparable, albeit perhaps just slightly different sound, why did VPI go with unipivots for so long? I don't know the history, so excuse my ignorance. Is the gimbal a relatively new technology advancement, perhaps?

VPI's official position is that the uni-pivot design offers the greatest level of performance. The gimbal tonearm was developed because some users do not like the "uneasy" feel of uni-pivots, therefore, VPI started to offer a gimbal version. Now some users report that they like the sound of the VPI gimbal over the uni-pivot and vice versa. There is no wrong answer because it all comes down to user preference. Both the gimbal and uni-pivot are proven designs.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner