The Fatboy

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:11 pm

Johnny wrote:
Interesting choice. Did you consider the Avenger which is priced similar???

For my purposes, this is a better choice than the Avenger.

And pricing is impacted by connections, margins and friendships.

I will be comparing it to a Classic 3SE, an LP12 specked at about $10k, and an LP12 specked at about $20k.

I may try an Avenger some day. But I’m not in a hurry. It will take 6 months to decide what I think about this one, unless it were obviously bad at the outset. It’s not.
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:12 pm

I’ve started a Levinson 515 thread so that I won’t continue to hi-jack this one.

Thanks for your good humor.
Peer Gynt

Postby Butch1970 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:19 am

Hey Beck,

Any impressions yet on your Fatboy/Cadenza combo?

Any reviews from anyone else out there? :)
Butch1970

Postby Beck » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm still waiting for my 10" Fatboy. I promise to report back once installed and dialed in.
Prime #16-67| Dual Pivot | Ortofon Cadenza Black | ADS | Ayre P-5xe phono preamp, K-5xe preamp, and V-5xe amp | Audio Sensibility Statement SE interconnects and Testament speaker cables | Magneplanar 3.7i | Mapleshade audio rack
Beck

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:29 am

I understand that an important part of this hobby consists of continually upgrading one’s table/tonearm in an effort to extract the last bit of performance. I also think the Fatboy is probably a good choice for certain low compliance cartridges. However, it seems to me that, unless you already have the cartridge of your dreams, a significant cartridge upgrade will yield a much greater improvement in overall sound quality than the addition of a Fatboy or, for that matter, just about any tonearm. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:18 am

The Linn upgrade path is power supply, subchassis, arm, cartridge.

And it’s right for the LP12.

In VPI world, since the plinth is really doing the job of the LP12 subchassis, it might look like

Power supply, choice of TT, arm, and cartridge.

So for a given table, maybe ADS or SDS first. Then longest Fatboy that will fit. Then Atlas.

I wonder if VPI have a formal recommended upgrade path.

FWIW, there are many examples where the arm has been a bigger deal than the cartridge. Of course this assumes that you’ve already got a cartridge that is doing the job. However in Linn world, there are many modestly priced cartridges that do the job. And in expensive LOMC world, all bets are off until you’ve effectively dialed the cartridge and phono section in ... which may mean expensive new preamp.

For me, if I plan on keeping a table, I want the best arm possible. I’m thinking gimbal Fatboy for the Classic before the trade program ends later this year.
Peer Gynt

Postby Guss2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:The Linn upgrade path is power supply, subchassis, arm, cartridge.

And it’s right for the LP12.

In VPI world, since the plinth is really doing the job of the LP12 subchassis, it might look like

Power supply, choice of TT, arm, and cartridge.

So for a given table, maybe ADS or SDS first. Then longest Fatboy that will fit. Then Atlas.

I wonder if VPI have a formal recommended upgrade path.

FWIW, there are many examples where the arm has been a bigger deal than the cartridge. Of course this assumes that you’ve already got a cartridge that is doing the job. However in Linn world, there are many modestly priced cartridges that do the job. And in expensive LOMC world, all bets are off until you’ve effectively dialed the cartridge and phono section in ... which may mean expensive new preamp.

For me, if I plan on keeping a table, I want the best arm possible. I’m thinking gimbal Fatboy for the Classic before the trade program ends later this year.

PG, where did you hear the trade up program was ending this year and when? Thanks, Gary.
Guss2

Postby fischerd » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:24 pm

Orchids1 wrote:I understand that an important part of this hobby consists of continually upgrading one’s table/tonearm in an effort to extract the last bit of performance. I also think the Fatboy is probably a good choice for certain low compliance cartridges. However, it seems to me that, unless you already have the cartridge of your dreams, a significant cartridge upgrade will yield a much greater improvement in overall sound quality than the addition of a Fatboy or, for that matter, just about any tonearm. Rich

Maybe, but there are other factors to consider, as least for me. One, everyone I've talked with has said the Fatboy is much easier to set up with the threaded counterweight. It is likely that most will be able to dial in their cartridge more easily (unless you have a setup expert do the cartridge installation), leading to better improvements out of their current or future cartridge. Second, the it does seem that any cartridge will benefit from the Fatboy upgrade. Third, if one intends to have their VPI table for the long haul, years to maybe even a decade or two, the smarter investment in the tonearm that won't change, while cartridge upgrades come and go. I would agree that the immediate improvement that is the biggest bang for the buck is a cartridge, but for the long haul investment in this hobby, I'd take the Fatboy first. I would be one to upgrade to the Fatboy, then in a year or two, upgrade the cartridge as funds allow. All will have an opinion and mine by no means is the correct one. Just another viewpoint.
fischerd

Postby Dorian » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Is the Fatboy likely to ship as standard on new tables any time soon? I'm hoping to eventually upgrade to the Prime Signature and would love it if the Fatboy came standard.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby fischerd » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Dorian wrote:Is the Fatboy likely to ship as standard on new tables any time soon? I'm hoping to eventually upgrade to the Prime Signature and would love it if the Fatboy came standard.

The Fatboy will never be standard on current tables since that would increase the retail price of each table. That being said, if you wanted a Prime Signature with a Fatboy, specify that with your dealer and they will deduct the price of the 10" reference 3d arm from the price of the Fatboy - you would just pay the difference. My dealer, Jeff Harris of Reference Analog can do this for you if you need a VPI dealer. He has given me price differentials with the Fatboy at one point, but forgot what they were.
fischerd

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner