The Fatboy

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:20 am

Johnny wrote:Well, based on the fact that the arm pictured is on display at Overture Audio for the purposed of soliciting sales, one would assume that that would be the final product. Another friction fit counter weight, not sure how one would be able to make fine vtf adjustments unless they install a piggy back adjustable weight. I now understand the delay in providing the effective mass figures since they keep changing the arm

I will say one thing, the finish looks better than the previous prototypes

Not digging the revised aesthetics at all....If the arm needs a weight with lowered center of gravity surely something the looks cool and hitech could be designed. What looked nice before now looks like an afterthought/ prototype to me. Maybe it will grow on me but my enthusiasm has diminished significantly. :|
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Johnny » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote:
Johnny wrote:Well, based on the fact that the arm pictured is on display at Overture Audio for the purposed of soliciting sales, one would assume that that would be the final product. Another friction fit counter weight, not sure how one would be able to make fine vtf adjustments unless they install a piggy back adjustable weight. I now understand the delay in providing the effective mass figures since they keep changing the arm

I will say one thing, the finish looks better than the previous prototypes

Not digging the revised aesthetics at all....Maybe it will grow on me but my enthusiasm has diminished significantly. :|

+1 plus it looks to have less improvements. I like the very first prototype with the threaded cw, bit it was said to have too high of an effective mass The new one doesn't make sense because VPI mentioned that the new cw had to be elongated to decrease the effective mass. I am confused.....3 steps forward, one step backwards in my opinion.
Johnny

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 am

I would rather see a traditional round drop weight...This squared off weight violates all my aesthetic senses for some reason. Also losing the thumb wheel fine tuning concept is very dissapointing. Maybe look to Reed for some inspiration here. I hope VPI will rethink this counterweight design.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby jonathanb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:18 am

It appears to me that there is still a fine tuning knob on the new arm.
jonathanb

Postby Johnny » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 am

jonathanb wrote:It appears to me that there is still a fine tuning knob on the new arm.

Where?
Johnny

Postby jonathanb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:01 pm

The knurled thingy at the end of the arm. (Or is that wishful thinking?)
jonathanb

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:56 pm

jonathanb wrote:The knurled thingy at the end of the arm. (Or is that wishful thinking?)

Maybe or Maybe not - on my 30" computer screen it has a bit more texture than what was visible on my phone. If that back end extension is an adjustment knob then what are the two drilled out areas on either side of it? Also, the counterweight appears to be at the far back end of the armwand then? Heavy cartridge? Time will tell
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Guss2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:49 pm

I just had the dual pivot installed on my Avenger and showed my dealer this thread. He confirmed that is an adjustment knob on the back of the Fatboy. I'm also not crazy about the new style counterweight, but if what he says is accurate, it does soften the blow a bit.
Guss2

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Guss2 wrote:I just had the dual pivot installed on my Avenger and showed my dealer this thread. He confirmed that is an adjustment knob on the back of the Fatboy. I'm also not crazy about the new style counterweight, but if what he says is accurate, it does soften the blow a bit.

That is good news. Maybe this pic just makes it look worse than it is. I'll stay open minded till I see the arm from different angles.

Of most significant interest is the advantageous trade/upgrade program that Mat has promised and the arm's effective mass.

STILL WAITING
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Guss2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:
Guss2 wrote:I just had the dual pivot installed on my Avenger and showed my dealer this thread. He confirmed that is an adjustment knob on the back of the Fatboy. I'm also not crazy about the new style counterweight, but if what he says is accurate, it does soften the blow a bit.

That is good news. Maybe this pic just makes it look worse than it is. I'll stay open minded till I see the arm from different angles.

Of most significant interest is the advantageous trade/upgrade program that Mat has promised and the arm's effective mass.

STILL WAITING

+1 on that!
Guss2

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner