The Fatboy

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Johnny » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 pm

I am not aware of any formal Fatboy reviews other than the arm was used at a few Consumer Audio Shows (not an ideal environment) and some of those were static only displays. I don't think anyone on this forum has seen or heard the Fatboy.
Johnny

Postby Mat » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Hey all just a heads up, we were able to make and ship a few production level Fatboys. Currently there is one on active display at Overture and there will be one shortly at Hi-Fi Sales in Cherry Hill. The Fatboy at overture was demoed at Ask the Audio Advisers in Florida and we will be sending them one for permanent use as soon as we get back. At the event we had in Florida and Delaware a lot of people were surprised about how good the Fatboy sounded.

In Florida we did a comparison between a standard JMW 3DR and Fatboy both Ortofon A95s and the difference was stunning! More exciting attack on the notes, larger sound, and overall more dynamics. One person described the difference being like someone took "the blanket off of the system". There will also be a Fatboy on live demo at CES with. It took some time everyone but we finally got there, and yes there will be a trade in program :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:51 pm

It looks like another change was made to the Fatboy. What happened to the fine adjustment vtf?
Attachments
21CCCD58-7AA2-4EF9-89CF-8D6965B46AC8.png
21CCCD58-7AA2-4EF9-89CF-8D6965B46AC8.png (954.76 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Johnny

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Hope that's not the finished product?????

What happened to that sleek new counterweight? I am not sure what we are looking at but I don't like the ass end of it. Hopefully this strange counterweight isn't the only choice. I was looking forward to the version Mat sent pictures of towards the middle of this thread with the fine tuning weight in the back?
Letsmakeadeal

Postby 10ovr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:Hope that's not the finished product?????

What happened to that sleek new counterweight? I am not sure what we are looking at but I don't like the ass end of it. Hopefully this strange counterweight isn't the only choice. I was looking forward to the version Mat sent pictures of towards the middle of this thread with the fine tuning weight in the back?

You well just have to buy one to see what it looks like :lol:
10ovr

Postby tom collins » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:52 pm

that is probably it. i have never seen anything before on a vpi that looks like that.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Mat » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Fine adjustment is still there, the final change was making it a tombstone like counterweight to lower the center of gravity like on the drop counterweight. To me fair, the pictured weight is missing the cosmetic lines as on the round one.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby 10ovr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:37 pm

Mat wrote:Fine adjustment is still there, the final change was making it a tombstone like counterweight to lower the center of gravity like on the drop counterweight. To me fair, the pictured weight is missing the cosmetic lines as on the round one.
How about a picture of the final product :?
10ovr

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 am

If you put a wooden handle through the counter weight you could probably hammer some nails with it. :lol:
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Johnny » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 am

Well, based on the fact that the arm pictured is on display at Overture Audio for the purposed of soliciting sales, one would assume that that would be the final product. Another friction fit counter weight, not sure how one would be able to make fine vtf adjustments unless they install a piggy back adjustable weight. I now understand the delay in providing the effective mass figures since they keep changing the arm

I will say one thing, the finish looks better than the previous prototypes
Johnny

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner