The Fatboy

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Mat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:57 am

It has never been this easy to dial in the tracking force!
Attachments
fatboy-measure.jpg
fatboy-measure.jpg (112.94 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Mat wrote:It has never been this easy to dial in the tracking force!

Thanks for the explanation on the design considerations. That all makes a lot of sense. How is this arm being positioned in your tonearm lineup? Big Brother to the 3DR for those nasty low compliance jobbers or an ultimate replacement for all the current 3D models? What is the effective mass of the fatboy?
Letsmakeadeal

Postby 10ovr » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:25 pm

So if the carbon fiber paint job like on the 12"3DR improves the sound (as you say) why not on the Fat Boy ,and it would look very nice ?????
10ovr

Postby Mat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 pm

With the test results previously it was the piano black finish that measured better. This is part of the reason we decided on this finish to be the standard on the Fatboy. However would be happy to do any finish by request :) Marc is already hoping for a gloss blue Fatboy ;)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby JimTimP » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Now if it would only mount to the left rear foot post on a Prime Signature....
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Brf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:54 pm

I am very much looking forward to the release of the new Fatboy. A couple of design observations that has piqued my interest.

1) The new design will more than likely have a higher effective mass than the traditional 3D arms. Although, I bet the difference will not be substantial, I would hazard a guess the Fatboy will be in the upper middle of the “medium” mass tonearm range. I have always favoured a solid medium mass tonearms for use with most of today’s modern MC cartridges as they can grip a cartridge tightly without restricting performance.

2) The new counter weight is exciting as more of the mass of the tonearm is now inline with the main pivot bearing. If used with the dual pivot, the need for additional mass below the bearing pivot to help create more lateral stability is less of a concern. I also like the redesigned elongated counter weight with its redistribution of weight along the longitudial axis.

3). Although is was hoping for a stainless steel bearing bell, I understand why aluminum was chosen as an alternate in an attempt to manage a targeted effective mass. I love dissimilar materials as a means to dampening resonances.

4) The increase diameter of the wand and the reintroduction of the taper. The increased diameter translates into strength and stiffness and the taper is a resonance defeating design application.

Of course, the above is all theory and the proof will be in the listening, but on paper, this is exciting news.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Spsesq » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:04 pm

I like this arm. I notice it has a VTA adjustment so is the 9 inch version able to be used on the Prime Scout as is, that is simply swapped out with the existing arm mechanism? Do you need to change platters if you want to add this new arm? Thanks.
VPI 2017 Prime Scout
Ortofon 2M Black
Eagle PSU/Roadrunner tachometer
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II Amp.
BlueSound Vault
Harmon Kardan TD262 tape deck
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Grado RS1e Headphones
Spsesq

Postby Johnny » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Brf wrote:I am very much looking forward to the release of the new Fatboy. A couple of design observations that has piqued my interest.

1) The new design will more than likely have a higher effective mass than the traditional 3D arms. Although, I bet the difference will not be substantial, I would hazard a guess the Fatboy will be in the upper middle of the “medium” mass tonearm range. I have always favoured a solid medium mass tonearms for use with most of today’s modern MC cartridges as they can grip a cartridge tightly without restricting performance.

2) The new counter weight is exciting as more of the mass of the tonearm is now inline with the main pivot bearing. If used with the dual pivot, the need for additional mass below the bearing pivot to help create more lateral stability is less of a concern. I also like the redesigned elongated counter weight with its redistribution of weight along the longitudial axis.

3). Although is was hoping for a stainless steel bearing bell, I understand why aluminum was chosen as an alternate in an attempt to manage a targeted effective mass. I love dissimilar materials as a means to dampening resonances.

4) The increase diameter of the wand and the reintroduction of the taper. The increased diameter translates into strength and stiffness and the taper is a resonance defeating design application.

Of course, the above is all theory and the proof will be in the listening, but on paper, this is exciting news.

I must admit that I had a good laugh at my own expense when I read Brf’s post. In my post, all I said is that I liked the shiny finish better. ;)
Johnny

Postby Johnny » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:43 am

Hi Mat, any update on the Fatboy?

I assume since the official launch at Capital Audio Fest this past week, you must have a selling price figured out? Any other technical specifications to share? Is the arm in full production?
Johnny

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Johnny wrote:Hi Mat, any update on the Fatboy?

I assume since the official launch at Capital Audio Fest this past week, you must have a selling price figured out? Any other technical specifications to share? Is the arm in full production?

+1

Come on Mat...spill the beans? Is this happening before Christmas? What is the upgrade program from 3DR to FatBoy going to look like?

Thanks
Letsmakeadeal

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner