The Fatboy

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Dorian » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Brf wrote:VPI's official position is that the uni-pivot design offers the greatest level of performance. The gimbal tonearm was developed because some users do not like the "uneasy" feel of uni-pivots, therefore, VPI started to offer a gimbal version. Now some users report that they like the sound of the VPI gimbal over the uni-pivot and vice versa. There is no wrong answer because it all comes down to user preference. Both the gimbal and uni-pivot are proven designs.

Makes sense, thanks Brf.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
User avatar
Dorian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:14 pm
Location: Westchester County, New York

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Peer Gynt » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 am

Brf wrote:
VPI's official position is that the uni-pivot design offers the greatest level of performance. The gimbal tonearm was developed because some users do not like the "uneasy" feel of uni-pivots, therefore, VPI started to offer a gimbal version. Now some users report that they like the sound of the VPI gimbal over the uni-pivot and vice versa. There is no wrong answer because it all comes down to user preference. Both the gimbal and uni-pivot are proven designs.


I agree.

With the new Dual Pivot installed on Tuesday, I am rethinking my preference.

The gimbal is still easier for me to setup ... but that’s just me.

But the dual pivot modified unipivot really sounds great. So I was firmly in the gimbal camp, and now I’ve got a foot in both.

I am not a VPI historian, but I can tell you what I remember.

1. The linear tracker that Lou Souther developed, which like the unipivot, has less constraint than a gimbal, worked better on the VPI table than on anything else. Lou had a special bond to the VPI.

2. When unipivots started to appear, like Graham, they sounded better on a VPI than on anything else.

I think it was a stroke of brilliance to make an integral arm to go with the tables, and unipivots are simple to manufacture. The VTA tower concept, and its attendant mounting strategy, makes it less likely that attempts to mount arms from other manufacturers will be fruitful. By offering a gimbal option, VPI is now potentially appealing to the whole world of customers who do not have their hearts set on a suspended subchassis, like Linn.

I can’t wait for the listening showroom/house to open.

In Leicestershire there is a Linn dealer called Cymbiosis. It is owned and operated by Peter Swain, the brightest turntable fettler on the retail sales level I’ve ever met. Peter keeps 18 or more LP12s in different states of specification so that at the time of your appointment, he can really give you a chance to hear the effect of the specific upgrade you’re interested in.

Related to the unipivot vs gimbal discussion, Linn are 100% in the gimbal camp. Their arms are all gimbals.

Aftermarket companies. Naim and Tiger Paw have produced unipivots specifically for the LP12.

Peter has maybe 6 tables set up with these arms. Why?

First so that customers can hear and compare. He believes, as BRF and I agree, some will prefer one, others the other.

Second, he keeps keeps demo cartridges ready on armwands for quick insertion during cartridge auditions.

He observes that it won’t sound the same as it would on a gimbal, but it gives you a very good sense about the flavor of the cartridges being compared.

I wish all turntable dealers could be this committed to their customers.

The VPI listening house has the potential to be a great start, and the Mecca of sorts for turntable aficionados in the US.
Peer Gynt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: The Fatboy

Postby BillK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:19 pm

Any updates on production for the 10" Unipivot Fatboys?

Not anxious, I was just curious of there's an ETA I can put on my calendar.
BillK
Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Re: The Fatboy

Postby MJB » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:57 pm

miner wrote:Does a new arm support come with the Fatboy since it appears the current 3D supports won't be large enough?


I have a similar question.

I have a 2 yr old Avenger with the 10" 3D arm. I have not performed the dual pivot modification. I'm considering moving up to the 12" gimbal; however, would consider going with the 12" dual pivot Fatboy if all I need to do is to drop the new arm on the current base and go through the adjustments.

I have not seen any clear information on the physical upgrade requirements. Also, if there is a need to get a new arm base, what is the cost? A sticky with FAQs on this subject would be very helpful to everyone interested in the upgrades.
MJB
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:41 pm

MJB wrote:
miner wrote:Does a new arm support come with the Fatboy since it appears the current 3D supports won't be large enough?


I have a similar question.

I have a 2 yr old Avenger with the 10" 3D arm. I have not performed the dual pivot modification. I'm considering moving up to the 12" gimbal; however, would consider going with the 12" dual pivot Fatboy if all I need to do is to drop the new arm on the current base and go through the adjustments.

I have not seen any clear information on the physical upgrade requirements. Also, if there is a need to get a new arm base, what is the cost? A sticky with FAQs on this subject would be very helpful to everyone interested in the upgrades.


Yes, a new tonearm support is provided with the Fatboy.

If you are upgrading from a 10" to a 12" tonearm you will need to purchase a new 12" VTA assembly due to the need for a larger side azimuth weight clearance with the vta tower.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3525
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: The Fatboy

Postby MJB » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Brf wrote:
MJB wrote:
miner wrote:Does a new arm support come with the Fatboy since it appears the current 3D supports won't be large enough?


I have a similar question.

I have a 2 yr old Avenger with the 10" 3D arm. I have not performed the dual pivot modification. I'm considering moving up to the 12" gimbal; however, would consider going with the 12" dual pivot Fatboy if all I need to do is to drop the new arm on the current base and go through the adjustments.

I have not seen any clear information on the physical upgrade requirements. Also, if there is a need to get a new arm base, what is the cost? A sticky with FAQs on this subject would be very helpful to everyone interested in the upgrades.


Yes, a new tonearm support is provided with the Fatboy.

If you are upgrading from a 10" to a 12" tonearm you will need to purchase a new 12" VTA assembly due to the need for a larger side azimuth weight clearance with the vta tower.


This is helpful, thanks!

So if I go with the 10" (Gimbal or Dual Pivot) the new tonearm support is provided with the Fatboy - correct? Are the 10" Fatboys now in production?

Lastly, any idea what is the cost of the 12" VTA assembly?

Once again, thanks for the info.
MJB
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:19 pm

MJB wrote: So if I go with the 10" (Gimbal or Dual Pivot) the new tonearm support is provided with the Fatboy - correct? Are the 10" Fatboys now in production?


Yes and yes the 10” is in production. VPI is currently back order and waiting on a new production run/ stock.

MJB wrote: Lastly, any idea what is the cost of the 12" VTA assembly?


The latest msrp is $1600
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3525
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: The Fatboy

Postby MJB » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Brf wrote:
MJB wrote: So if I go with the 10" (Gimbal or Dual Pivot) the new tonearm support is provided with the Fatboy - correct? Are the 10" Fatboys now in production?


Yes and yes the 10” is in production. VPI is currently back order and waiting on a new production run/ stock.

MJB wrote: Lastly, any idea what is the cost of the 12" VTA assembly?


The latest msrp is $1600


Thanks a lot for the info, very helpful!
MJB
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Re: The Fatboy

Postby MJB » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:55 pm

I did order a 12” Gimbal. Waiting for a delivery date.
MJB
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Re: The Fatboy

Postby BillK » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Well I confirmed my dealer will give me full credit for my 10" Unipivot if I buy a 40th Anniversary DD, so it looks like I'm covered both ways. :-)
BillK
Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

x