Are the JMW-9 and JMW-9 3D arms interchangeable?

Are the JMW-9 and JMW-9 3D arms interchangeable?

Postby husafreak » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:38 pm

I have a Scout 2 and I am interested in purchasing the JMW-9 3D arm for it. I want to know if the new 3D arm simply drops onto the existing arm base unipivot point and if my older JMW-9 (the current one with the non tapered silver metal arm tube) arm will still be useful, perhaps with a mono or other contrasting cartridge, etc. I understand that due to differing cartridge dimensions it might be necessary to adjust VTA for the arm heights using the large knurled knob on the arm base but other than spinning that knob will I be able to use both arms? Or will my older arm be useless after making whatever adjustments are necessary to adapt the 3D arm to the arm base?
Current cartridge is a Sumiko Blackbird. I use the VPI periphery ring and HRX clamp. I use a Phoenix PSU. I think the 3D arm would be awesome on my table!
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Re: Are the JMW-9 and JMW-9 3D arms interchangeable?

Postby JRM » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:56 pm

I am also debating the purchase of the JMW-9 3D Arm for my Scout 2 Signature Turntable. I use the Scout 2 versus the more advanced VPI turn tables since I have limited space issues. Is the height of the 3D arm, including the cable wire equal or less than the height of the original arm? Can you purchase the JMW-9 3D arm with the upgraded cable as well. I currently own the JMW-9 Signature Tonearm. Thank you.
JRM

Postby Stringreen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:29 am

no - they are not interchangeable.
Stringreen

Postby Stringreen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:33 am

The 3D comes with Discovery wire....the upgrade to Nordost just costs money. To me, its a matter of what you like/how it incorporates into your system. The Nordost is brighter, the Discovery is (to me) more pleasant. Your choice.
Stringreen

Postby husafreak » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:05 am

Ah, so after the swap the older arm cannot be used and the new 3D arm has different internal wiring... thanks.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Brf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:46 am

I believe that the JMW-9 3D is a drop in replacement for the JMW-9. They utilize the same base. The tonearm's internal wiring has no bearing on compatibility other than you may want to match up the tonearm wire with the junction box wiring.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby husafreak » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:51 pm

It is nice to finally get some discussion started on this arm, thank you. But it seems the questions just produce more questions. I found descriptions of the arms on the Elusive Disc website. They list the specifications for the arm, the dimensions are identical. The website lists "Premium Discovery wire" for the JMW-9 and "VPI Pure Copper wire" for the JMW-9 3D. 10.2g is the effective mass given for both arms as well, this given on the Elusive Disc website for the 3D arm and on the VPI product page for the standard JMW-9.
I also posted here hoping Mat would get involved as the manufacturer. Thanks
husafreak

Postby Stringreen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:20 am

when I changed from the 10 metal to the 3D 10, it would not fit...had to get the whole thing.
Stringreen

Postby husafreak » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 am

What do you mean by "the whole thing" ?
husafreak

Postby Brf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:06 am

husafreak wrote:What do you mean by "the whole thing" ?

He means he had to change the VTA tower also. Earlier JMW-10 VTA towers had a smaller dog leg platform which interfered with the 3D arm's larger azimuth weights.

The JMW-9 tonearm does not have VTA on the fly, therefore, you will not have this problem.
Brf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mat's Corner