JMW-9 3D Arm Review

JMW-9 3D Arm Review

Postby JRM » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Can anyone provide a review of the newly released JMW-9 3D Armwand? Are there any issues with setup, arm warp, resonance or hum? What are the improvements in sound quality on a Scout Turntable? I read that installation of a dual pivot is an issue (Requires Superglue) on the Scout TT without an On-The-Fly VTA assembly. Thank you!
JRM

Re: JMW-9 3D Arm Review

Postby dodgealum » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:26 am

I haven't seen any reviews and cannot address several of your questions but will offer this: I had an original Scout with a JMW-9 tonearm and had the opportunity to install a 3D-10 arm which I ran on the table for a year. I can tell you that the 3D arm is a substantial upgrade over the metal armwand. The most noticeable improvement comes in the area of tonal purity--the 3D arm is much more liquid, tonally true and free of distortion of any kind. So, not a direct comparison of standard JMW-9 to JMW-9 3D but pretty close--if I had a Scout and was trying to decide how best to spend my upgrade dollars the 3D arm would be my first priority--it is simply WAY better than the stock arm.
dodgealum

Postby JRM » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks dodgealum.
JRM

Postby husafreak » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:58 pm

How about now? Any reviews forthcoming? I would like to buy this arm during the Black Friday sales period.
Generally speaking, is this an entire arm that I can simply plug in and drop on the point of my Scout 2? I would like to put another cartridge on my JMW arm.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Mat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Have to say, I'm a bit surprised about the lack of effort on some people... I'm saying it like that to be politically correct :p I have offered the JMW 9 3D in addition to a standard 9 for a bunch of reviewers and all have them have turned it down because they didn't have enough time or it being too much work :| We did a shoot out between them at a few events out in Seattle and the differences were staggering! The JMW 3D-9 is certainly a step up and improvement over the standard metal.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:28 pm

I think at this point it's a given that the 10 inch 3D arm sounds better than the metal arm to most people. I don't see why the 9 inch arm would be any different. Buy one from Music Direct and take advantage of their 60 day return policy.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby husafreak » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks Mat, my sentiments exactly!
I did send photos of my JMW-9 arm and base to Jay at Soundstage Direct and he says the new 3D arm will definitely work with my table, possibly requiring an adjustment to the female bearing cup in the arm. So it sounds like I could possibly use both arms and swap them, utilizing that female cup adjustment to dial in the VTA on the two arms. I imagine there is a limit to the adjustment range of course. But there are no shortage of cartridges out there. I would pick a compatible one.
I hear ya spinblackcircle, that is certainly true. But the compatibility issue is still pretty real to me as I have never had a table where I can swap arms. I have asked SSD to consider a "trade in" in case they cannot be swapped which complicates things. I have no doubt the 3D arm will sound fantastic.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby JRM » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Whoa! This is the first time I have ever heard of a required female bearing adjustment in the arm. Is there a procedure for this? I now plan to ask my local dealer, Audio Classics. Maybe Steve can help me determine what is required to switch to the 3D arm for my Signature Scout 2. Reading the comments above brings up many concerns. I may need to match the internal wiring of the TT junction box with the arm wiring as well. I also utilize the Dynavector 20X2-H Cartridge which was matched to the original JMW-9 armwand design. This cartridge is also a perfect match to my McIntosh preamp. I wonder if this cartridge will match the 3D arm. My cabinet cannot tolerate any addition to the height of the entire turn table. If the arm cable arch is higher than the original JMW-9 arm, this will be a show stopper for me, since it would interfere with my cabinet pop-up lid. I still hope that I can upgrade to the 3D arm though and plan to make this happen if at all possible. I will need to eliminate any risks, hopefully I can try the new arm out and return it if there are any issues (Then go back to the original arm).
JRM

Postby husafreak » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm spitballing here but I doubt that the changes in dimensions are very large. As for the female bearing, or cup, in the tonearm, I think it is a threaded part. I think you insert an allen wrench through the hole in the top of the arm tower and by turning this you can raise and lower the cup relative to the arm to make small VTA adjustments. You adjust here so that you can match arms with different height cartridges, to the male point at a fixed height. Otherwise you would have to adjust VTA with the big knurled disc every time you swap arms, raising and lowering the male bearing, the needle.
Marc also stated that we will need a different arm clamp as the 3D arm is a bit thicker than the metal arm. It should come with the 3D arm.
As for as changing the internal wiring in the junction box to match the arm wiring I am on the fence about that. I just have no idea how important that would be to the sound of the table in actual practice. In theory it makes perfect sense but it's not like it's a continuous wire anyway, it's about 1" of wire with connectors at either end. Who knows?
husafreak

Postby JRM » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Thank you, I will let you and others know how this works out for me.
JRM

Return to Mat's Corner