VPI 12" 3DR confirmed NO Carbon Fiber in design

VPI 12" 3DR confirmed NO Carbon Fiber in design

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:18 am

:?: :?: Haven't we been told that the 3DR has a "Carbon Fiber Wrap"? This is stated to be the case on retailers websites, marketing innuendo, Harry's posts & several other locations as well. Check out Mat's comments at 3.36 in Fremmer's new Video of the Bankok High End Show...Very cool view of the Titan...Anyone else but me surprised by this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvnggttAj9Q
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Re: VPI 12" 3DR "Carbon Fiber Finish" ???

Postby Johnny » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:03 pm

I was told that the carbon fiber wrap is actually a very expensive exotic polycarbonate laid over the regular 3D printed material.
Johnny

Postby 10ovr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:45 pm

Was just talking to my dealer yesterday and they told me is was a wrap,,,,Just called them today and told them to cancel my order ,,They were shocked to here this,,,,and so was I,,,,Maybe Matt or Harry should clear this up < A lot of people out there think they have a Wrapped tonearm,,, :shock:
10ovr

Postby jonathanb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:07 pm

The 12" 3DR arm is covered with a carbon weave material. You have, in fact, a carbon wrapped arm wand.
jonathanb

Postby 10ovr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:19 pm

jonathanb wrote:The 12" 3DR arm is covered with a carbon weave material. You have, in fact, a carbon wrapped arm wand.

Thats not what Matt said in the video :?
10ovr

Postby 10ovr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Found this post from Harry ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Re: 3D Reference Tonearm
Postby Harry » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:08 pm

The wiring difference is ridiculously expensive but worth every dollar in sound quality.

The wrap is very thin carbon fiber and really stiffens and damps the armtube even more. These two items really added a lot to the cost of making the arm so that is the difference.

HW
Harry
Admin

10ovr

Postby MMMC » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:12 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote:I can't say I am totally surprised about this (I had my suspicions) but haven't we been told that the 3DR has a "Carbon Fiber Wrap"? Maybe I am wrong but this is stated to be the case on some retailers websites & several other locations as well. Check out Mat's comments at 3.36 in Fremmer's new Video of the Bankok High End Show...Very cool view of the Titan...Anyone else but me a little surprised by this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvnggttAj9Q

Letsmakeadeal,

I'm sure, or at least hope, you know I am not a shill in any way for VPi, and I've ridden Mat long and hard on the "vinyl" walnut Prime. So, after replaying the video and Mat's description of the arm, I "think" he was responding to Fremer's reaction that he was possibly seeing a new tonearm from VPI possibly made of carbon fiber based on it's appearance. In Mat's haste(also known as "marketing rapid speak"), he did not take the opportunity to explain that the arm was, in fact, underneath a 3D printed arm, but finished with a carbon fiber material and Nordost Reference 2 wiring inside. Let me also disclose that I own a 12 in 3DR arm, but not looking justify my purchase, or defending ambiguous marketing. Let me also state that I've never known, or ever felt Harry to be anything but 100% honest when speaking of his products. I leave any further explanations to VIP and Mat. BTW, I think the 12 inch 3D R arm is pretty awesome based on it's performance on my HRX and within my system.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:19 am

@MMMC - Mat said in the video "It is just a finish. It is not real carbon fiber." WHAT?

I have 2 VPI 3DR tonearms and a 12" Steel tonearm. I am very and I mean VERY heavily invested in VPI now. I enjoy my tonearms and turntable. I truly hope the arm is what we were told it is. We need an explanation..

I am casually watching Fremmer's new video and almost fell off my chair when I heard Mat say what he said. You need to go back and listen to it a few more times....I think we need to hear from Harry or Mat. :?:
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby MMMC » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:43 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote:@MMMC - Mat said in the video "It is just a finish. It is not real carbon fiber." WHAT?

I have 2 VPI 3DR tonearms and a 12" Steel tonearm. I am very and I mean VERY heavily invested in VPI now. I love my tonearms and turntable. I really like Mat and Harry and always will. They are great guys. If I lived closer to Jersey I am sure that we would be friends. This issue (regardless of the outcome) will in no way effect my enjoyment of these products or my very positive feelings about VPI. I truly hope the arm is what we were told it is. Either way I am fine, I just want an explanation..That said, I am casually watching Fremmer's new video and almost fell off my chair when I heard Mat say what he said. You need to go back and listen to it a few more times....I think we need to hear from Harry or Mat. :?:

Letsmakeadeal,

I was attempting to be polite to Mat in my post, and maybe should have stated things differently. In reality, to me, Mat had a case of diarrhea of the mouth, being in Sales or Marketing mode, attempting to present a product for every users whim because he was pitching "any finish" to the Titan or Avenger, (he just completed plugging a rose finish like the center weight), and for whatever reason other than more sales kept babbling on. I worked for software companies and too many times would hear one of the Sales or Marketing guys say crazy stuff like, hit Shit-alt delete and and the program will will do something fantastic like recalculate all formulas and show them in a dialog box. All for "possible" Sales. It was then left to us a technicians and support staff to add features or explain how to achieve the desired result. My post was also to emphasize that for me, Harry is my authority on the wrap or covering, not Mat.
And yes, I do agree with you that an explanation is in order.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:25 am

@mmmc
+1 No Argument. Hopefully Harry or Mat will chime in here soon and correct the diatribe either way...Having carefully looked at the arm under a 10X I am inclined to think Mat spoke correctly in the video...We'll see.... I would just like to know if I bought into a technology that isn't actually there??...
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Next

Return to Mat's Corner