Would this HRX upgrade be possible?

Would this HRX upgrade be possible?

Postby MMMC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:02 am

Hello Mat,

Given the Avenger is the "top of the line" future of VPI, as an HRX owner, and though I do not currently have the cash for this upgrade, since you seem to be around, I thought it might be a good time to inquire. My HRX is one of your this years build.
I have plans, when $$$$'s permit, to upgrade my HRX with the Magnetic platter, initially being driven with it's current dual motor, dual belt drive system. That aligns with Brf's first HRX-Magnetic platter build. When the additional $$$$'s permit me, would it then be possible to covert the dual belt drive system, to dual belt Rim drive utilizing the present dual motor/flywheel housing? My thinking is maybe the Rim drive could fit into the location of the flywheel, and also be driven by dual belts from the motors as configured with Gary's HRX magnetic platter with rim drive, or will I be required to purchase a new/different motor housing unit? It appears, based on the photos of Gary and Letsmakeadeal's HRX-Mag platter tables, that my present motor housing would work with the different parts of the Rim drive unit and motor pulleys and belts.
If you would prefer not to be pinned down with a public response, a PM reply would be sufficient.
Thank you.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Re: Would this HRX upgrade be possible?

Postby Brf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:47 am

MMMC, I have both the dual motor flywheel and dual motor rim drive system for my HRX. You do not need to replace the motor housing. You simply swap out the flywheel head unit for the rim drive. You will also need to change the pulleys and reverse the rotation of the motor direction to accommodate the rim drive (very simple procedure in which I can walk you through in 2 minutes).

Almost every upgrade for the Avenger can be retrofitted onto the HRX with the exception of the Avenger to Titan upgrade.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 am

The only issue that may or may not be a problem is availability of the HRX rim drive flywheel. They told me I got one of the last remaining units available when I ordered my table?
Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI HRX Reference (MagDrive/RimDrive), 12" 3DR tonearms, Miyajima Kansui & ZERO, VPI ADS, Vendetta SCP-1
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Gary1955 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:26 am

I was told that a new double motor for the HR-X will be made with a smaller rim drive wheel. The motor will have an adjustment knob to more accurately move the rim drive in or out, like the Avenger Reference. I'm looking to seeing that especially with the fine adjustment.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby Johnny » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:45 am

Gary1955 wrote:I was told that a new double motor for the HR-X will be made with a smaller rim drive wheel. The motor will have an adjustment knob to more accurately move the rim drive in or out, like the Avenger Reference. I'm looking to seeing that especially with the fine adjustment.

This does not make sense since the HRX is now a discontinued model. Why would VPI go to all the trouble and cost to provide an updated rim drive system to a discontinued table? Unless VPI plans to retro-fit NOS dual motor flywheels to rim drives, but what will a HRX owner do with his older dual motor flywheel.
Johnny

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 am

Gary1955 wrote:I was told that a new double motor for the HR-X will be made with a smaller rim drive wheel. The motor will have an adjustment knob to more accurately move the rim drive in or out, like the Avenger Reference. I'm looking to seeing that especially with the fine adjustment.

I guess anything is possible but designing a new drive for our discontinued HRX seems unlikely based on Mat's line standardization direction. I stand to be corrected but I also remember that mag drive platters would be designed for all the Classic tables. Never happened. Don't hold your breath on a different HRX drive unit. IMHO anyway. :shock:
Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI HRX Reference (MagDrive/RimDrive), 12" 3DR tonearms, Miyajima Kansui & ZERO, VPI ADS, Vendetta SCP-1
Letsmakeadeal

Postby MMMC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Brf wrote:MMMC, I have both the dual motor flywheel and dual motor rim drive system for my HRX. You do not need to replace the motor housing. You simply swap out the flywheel head unit for the rim drive. You will also need to change the pulleys and reverse the rotation of the motor direction to accommodate the rim drive (very simple procedure in which I can walk you through in 2 minutes).

Almost every upgrade for the Avenger can be retrofitted onto the HRX with the exception of the Avenger to Titan upgrade.

Brf, Gary1955, Letsmakeadeal,

Thank you all for weighing in on this. As I stated, I do not have the cash available currently to act on the upgrades mentioned, but, "fore warned" is "fore armed", so I'm planning ahead. One of the best reasons for being a VPI owner is, Harry has almost always in the past, considered backward and future upgrade compatibility with his designs. The HRX is such a monster, ie (robust) platform, I doubt most owners are going to toss their turntables because the Avenger is the current design direction. They are built to last a lifetime in my opinion, and the reason I invested in mine. Looking at the photos of the HRX magnetic platter/rim drive tables of Brf, Gary1955 and Let'smakeadeal prompted my thoughts on what should be a very do-able upgrade to Magnetic platter, and eventually rim drive, because as was shown in Brf's initial magnetic platter upgrade, the already robust dual motor flywheel drive system works. Gary and Let'smakeadeals tables displayed the implementation of rim drive using dual motors, so it seemed the path was clearly there. Now I'm very sure it will be very do-able as two seperate upgrades, and I can split the $$$$ pain between the two events instead of only one. It at least allows flexibility of possibly adding dual motor rim drive first, as the cost of the magnetic platter comes down, if that's possible, or going with the magnetic platter only, while staying with the already in place, dual motor/flywheel/dual belt drive. I love having options.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby MMMC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Gary1955,
Is this the smaller dual motor rim drive unit you mentioned. It still looks like the motors and the rim drive unit would fit into the current HRX dual motor/flywheel/belt drive housing. Image

MMMC
MMMC

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:54 pm

@MMMC

I am 99.9% certain the Avenger rim drive unit at pictured will not work on an HRX due to clearance issues not to mention the aesthetic issues. The reason for the large flywheel on the HRX rim drive is that there is a bit of plinth real estate it has to cover to get to the platter...Like I said before, if you seriously think you want a rim drive for your HRX you should contact VPI directly and immediately to see if any remain...My dealer told me in working with Mat on my table order that I got the last HRX rim drive unit that they had (I suppose they could always make more of them if there is enough demand but a "one off" could be very costly)...That said you should make an HRX rim drive unit your first acquisition if you can get one (the cost of the upgrade was $1K I at one time). The Mag Drive platter is going to be around for the duration.....Music Direct (see below) has the kit on their website but it is marked no longer available...

VPI - RIM DRIVE KIT FOR DUAL MOTOR TURNTABLES
Accessories
Price $999.99

Product Not Eligible for Further Discounts

Availability: Product is no longer available.
Item: AVPIRIMDRIVE
Letsmakeadeal

Postby MMMC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Letsmakeadeal,

Thank you. Your advice has been verified via VPI. Unfortunately I can not commit funds immediately, so if all stock is depleted before I can move on it, I am prepared to live with the magnetic platter being driven by my current dual motor\dual belt\flywheel drive system. I certainly do not feel VPI has any responsibility to continue production just for me, and I can live with that. Believe me, if I ever feel I want the rim drive that passionately, I will find a way to implement it myself, with hopefully a little consultative assistance from VPI. It simply will not have any economy of scale benefits. The magnetic platter is the major and most important component of that performance upgrade, so I am good. This post, and the information gained, means no surprises down the road. Thanks to all the contributors.

MMMC
MMMC

Next

Return to Mat's Corner