JMW 9t Scout 1.1 and 2M Black

JMW 9t Scout 1.1 and 2M Black

Postby Hummer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:27 am

I have seen that VPI recommend the 2M Black cartridge used in conjunction with the Scout turntable. Could you recommend what position the arm should be in for VTA, does it like to be level or slightly down at the pivot point when using the 2M black? I am using the JMW 9t tone arm.
VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm/ 2M Black / Croft 25R / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2 / Chord Chameleon VEE 3 cables
Hummer

Re: JMW 9t Scout 1.1 and 2M Black

Postby Spsesq » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:01 am

I just added a TTW carbon fiber mat and had to adjust my VTA on the Prime Scout. My 2M Black sounded best slightly down angle. I listened to posters on the VTA thread and adjusted by ear. I placed the arm as parallel as I could then tweaked it up and down until I liked the sound best. I got more clarity and a noticble expansion of the soundstage with a slight downward angle.
Steve
VPI 2017 Prime Scout
Ortofon 2M Black
Eagle PSU/Roadrunner tachometer
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II Amp.
BlueSound Vault
Harmon Kardan TD262 tape deck
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Grado RS1e Headphones
Spsesq

Re: JMW 9t Scout 1.1 and 2M Black

Postby Hummer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks for replying, good to know how you got to set up your VTA on the 2M. This seems to be the usual approach with the 2M across the net when set up with other turntable/tone arms.

The JMW 9t is a little difficult to judge when adjusting as it is tapered, although I presume the cut out channel on the side of the arm is actually horizontal. I will probably adjust the VTA by ear on 180g vinyl as this accounts for the majority of records I use. :D
VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm/ 2M Black / Croft 25R / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2 / Chord Chameleon VEE 3 cables
Hummer

Return to Mat's Corner