Prime with triple belt drive

Prime with triple belt drive

Postby EdAInWestOC » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:13 pm

This weekend I added the triple belt drive upgrade to my VPI Prime. I have no idea why this isn't offered as a standard drive system.

The Prime is an excellent table with the single drive belt but the triple belt drive seems to be an obvious improvement. Sustained notes and attack and decay of notes are all improved with the triple belt drive.

Is there a reason why triple belt drive is not offered as a standard drive system? Are there negative effects of the two extra belts that I cannot hear? I have only spent 3 hours listening with the triple drive belt setup but the advantages seem so obvious I had to ask the above questions.

Ed
EdAInWestOC

Re: Prime with triple belt drive

Postby Brf » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:59 pm

The Prime's stock stepped pulley allows for fine speed adjustments. With a non-stepped pulley (HRX pulley) fine speed adjustments are performed by an external motor controller like the ADS. By providing a stepped pulley configuration allows users to upgrade to an ADS at their discretion.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby EdAInWestOC » Mon May 01, 2017 1:00 am

Brf wrote:The Prime's stock stepped pulley allows for fine speed adjustments. With a non-stepped pulley (HRX pulley) fine speed adjustments are performed by an external motor controller like the ADS. By providing a stepped pulley configuration allows users to upgrade to an ADS at their discretion.

That makes perfect sense from a marketing point of view. The problem lies in getting the customer the best possible solution. Would it be better to offer these numerous upgrades as a package deal? The triple belt upgrade is not exactly marketed. Yes, it is available but the customer has to hang around forums to find out about some of the things that are offered.

I have a very good salesperson but sometimes these options go unmentioned.

If the Prime or Prime Signature was offered as a package deal with the ADS and the list of possible upgrades, the customer would be better served. A list of options, the way they sell cars, seems like a logical approach. I chose VPI because it has an excellent upgrade path but I am unaware of any documentation that lists the possible upgrades.

Maybe it is because I am new to the VPI family but finding out about the possible upgrades should be documented and available on a website and/or as a handout at the dealer. If this is available could you point me to the location where it can be found?

Ed
EdAInWestOC

Postby adeep42 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:18 am

I use an HRX Pulley and three belts on my Prime. Agree with all the OP's and Brf's comments Only issue I have found is that over a few listening sessions, the motor pod creeps toward the platter.
Prime #631
Symposium Footer Damping Inserts
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby EdAInWestOC » Mon May 01, 2017 1:43 pm

adeep42 wrote:I use an HRX Pulley and three belts on my Prime. Agree with all the OP's and Brf's comments Only issue I have found is that over a few listening sessions, the motor pod creeps toward the platter.

How do you have the three belts setup on the HRX Pulley?

I ask this because I originally had the three belts setup on the bottom, middle and top groove of the HRX Pulley. With a belt setup so high on the motor, the motor tends to tilt on startup and "walks" in towards the platter on each startup. I moved the three belts down to the three lower grooves on the HRX Pulley and the tilting and walking stopped.

Ed
EdAInWestOC

Postby Brf » Mon May 01, 2017 2:53 pm

EdAInWestOC wrote:
adeep42 wrote:I use an HRX Pulley and three belts on my Prime. Agree with all the OP's and Brf's comments Only issue I have found is that over a few listening sessions, the motor pod creeps toward the platter.

I ask this because I originally had the three belts setup on the bottom, middle and top groove of the HRX Pulley. With a belt setup so high on the motor, the motor tends to tilt on startup and "walks" in towards the platter on each startup. I moved the three belts down to the three lower grooves on the HRX Pulley and the tilting and walking stopped.

Ed

With a multiple drive belts system, less belt tension is required due to a better and more linear transfer of power. If you motor drive is walking due to belt tension, you definitely have too much belt tension which puts undue pressure on the motor bearing bushings which will cause premature wear.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby EdAInWestOC » Mon May 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Brf wrote:
EdAInWestOC wrote:

Ed

With a multiple drive belts system, less belt tension is required due to a better and more linear transfer of power. If you motor drive is walking due to belt tension, you definitely have too much belt tension which puts undue pressure on the motor bearing bushings which will cause premature wear.

I'm sure that is the case, but no matter how little tension I put on the belts, the motor tended to tilt at startup and that caused the motor to "walk" in towards the table. At one point I had the pulley very close to the platter and the motor still wanted to tilt at startup.

I was going to find a way to anchor the motor down and then looked at the obvious. I rearranged the belts so the top belt was not on the top groove of the pulley. The top belt ended up on the center groove of the HRX pulley with the belts arranged on the bottom three grooves and the motor stopped tilting over on startup.

Ed
EdAInWestOC

Postby 10ovr » Mon May 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Try Baby Powder on your belts,,Gives it just a little slippage on start up and well prolong your belt life,,, Just a thought,,,Back before 911 VPI belts came in bags with powder in it,,,
10ovr

Postby Brf » Mon May 01, 2017 4:18 pm

EdAInWestOC wrote:I'm sure that is the case, but no matter how little tension I put on the belts, the motor tended to tilt at startup and that caused the motor to "walk" in towards the table. At one point I had the pulley very close to the platter and the motor still wanted to tilt at startup.

I was going to find a way to anchor the motor down and then looked at the obvious. I rearranged the belts so the top belt was not on the top groove of the pulley. The top belt ended up on the center groove of the HRX pulley with the belts arranged on the bottom three grooves and the motor stopped tilting over on startup.

Ed

Ed, also orient the motor's feet so that one foot is pointing in the direction of the platter.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby adeep42 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:38 pm

EdA, my belts are in grooves 2,3,4 from top of the pulley, bottom three grooves of the platter.

Brf, Thanks for the suggestion will reorient the motor.

Very interesting that some of you see the motor tilt inward on start up. I've never noticed that. It may be upgrade psych, but I do swear the three belt set up sounds superior.
Prime #631
Symposium Footer Damping Inserts
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Next