Prime with triple belt drive

Re: Prime with triple belt drive

Postby EdAInWestOC » Mon May 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Brf wrote:
EdAInWestOC wrote:I'm sure that is the case, but no matter how little tension I put on the belts, the motor tended to tilt at startup and that caused the motor to "walk" in towards the table. At one point I had the pulley very close to the platter and the motor still wanted to tilt at startup.

I was going to find a way to anchor the motor down and then looked at the obvious. I rearranged the belts so the top belt was not on the top groove of the pulley. The top belt ended up on the center groove of the HRX pulley with the belts arranged on the bottom three grooves and the motor stopped tilting over on startup.

Ed

Ed, also orient the motor's feet so that one foot is pointing in the direction of the platter.

Thanks...got that setup as suggested and I have my baby powder that is applied periodically.

I do have a suggestion. They should have an optional motor base with wider set feet for issues like the one covered here.

Ed
EdAInWestOC

Postby EdAInWestOC » Mon May 01, 2017 8:06 pm

adeep42 wrote:EdA, my belts are in grooves 2,3,4 from top of the pulley, bottom three grooves of the platter.

Brf, Thanks for the suggestion will reorient the motor.

Very interesting that some of you see the motor tilt inward on start up. I've never noticed that. It may be upgrade psych, but I do swear the three belt set up sounds superior.

I don't think its upgrade psych. The sound is more "direct-drive" like with sustained notes taking on even more solidity and the attack and decay of all notes taking on a firmer presentation.

The first LP I spun showed a definite improvement. I think it was an improvement...no psych.

Ed
EdAInWestOC

Postby cygnus x1 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Any pictures available? Why I ask is I'm trying to set up my clone acrylic Scout plinth/base with the 300 RPM motor and HR-X pulley in a clone motor housing and Classic ceramic platter. I'm having problems with pulley wobble, belt tension and trying to locate the pulley with the center of the platter so I can run three belts. How close is the pulley to the platter? Does the top pulley grove line up with the center of the platter?
cygnus x1

Postby VinBob » Mon May 08, 2017 5:02 pm

cygnus x1 wrote:Any pictures available? Why I ask is I'm trying to set up my clone acrylic Scout plinth/base with the 300 RPM motor and HR-X pulley in a clone motor housing and Classic ceramic platter. I'm having problems with pulley wobble, belt tension and trying to locate the pulley with the center of the platter so I can run three belts. How close is the pulley to the platter? Does the top pulley grove line up with the center of the platter?

And I would be interested to know the optimum setup on how the three belts line up on the platter and in particular, the spacing between them - or does the spacing not really matter?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Brf » Mon May 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Just make sure that each belt is level with the platter. You can use the table's height adjustable feet to help align the belts to the platter.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby cygnus x1 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:22 am

With my set-up the third (lower) belt comes dangerously close to the bottom of the platter. I have a Classic ceramic platter, so no grooves for the belts to ride in. I'm going to try to reposition the motor/pulley height to gain a little extra room at the bottom. I would hate to have a belt come off and put my stylus in danger of damage.
cygnus x1

Postby DodgersBlue » Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 am

EdAInWestOC wrote: I have no idea why this isn't offered as a standard drive system. Ed

My guess is that if someone determined that having 1 or 2 belts is/was superior to 3 then some folks would complain that VPI is charging them extra for something with zero benefit.
DodgersBlue

Postby thegage » Tue May 09, 2017 12:32 pm

EdAInWestOC wrote:Is there a reason why triple belt drive is not offered as a standard drive system? Are there negative effects of the two extra belts that I cannot hear? I have only spent 3 hours listening with the triple drive belt setup but the advantages seem so obvious I had to ask the above questions.

Some people have tried two/three belts and say they can hear more motor noise transmitted via the belts, so they stick with one. Other users don't seem to hear any downside, so they go with three. The VPI setup gives both users options.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby EdAInWestOC » Thu May 18, 2017 2:10 pm

VinBob wrote:
cygnus x1 wrote:Any pictures available? Why I ask is I'm trying to set up my clone acrylic Scout plinth/base with the 300 RPM motor and HR-X pulley in a clone motor housing and Classic ceramic platter. I'm having problems with pulley wobble, belt tension and trying to locate the pulley with the center of the platter so I can run three belts. How close is the pulley to the platter? Does the top pulley grove line up with the center of the platter?

And I would be interested to know the optimum setup on how the three belts line up on the platter and in particular, the spacing between them - or does the spacing not really matter?

Cheers,
Vin.

When I changed the pulley to the HRX Pulley I double checked the height of the original pulley and made sure that the HRX Pulley ended up the same height on the motor. After replacing the pulley, I first tried the 3 belts spaced with a empty spaces between them. This ended up being a belt on the lowest position on the HRX pulley, on the middle position and on the top position of the HRX pulley.

I assume it was because of the torque of the belt on the top of the HRX pulley but, when I had it setup like this, the motor tipped over on startup and the motor walked over a bit each time it tipped. I tried to rotate the motor so the feet were in a different position and moving in the motor to lower the belt tension but nothing stopped the problem except for repositioning the belts.

I ended up placing the belts on the bottom three grooves on the HRX pulley. This worked out well because the motor no longer tipped over on startup and the three belts were all level with the lowest three grooves on the platter. It seems to be important to ensure you measure the height of the pulley on your drive motor and make sure you replicate that with the HRX pulley.

I placed my drive motor on a flat surface and placed the azimuth adjustment rod on top of the pulley. I put a ruler on its end on the flat surface next to the motor and measured the height. I repeated this adjustment by rotating the rod on top of the pulley and moving the ruler around the motor to check the measurement.

I removed the original pulley and put the HRX pulley on the motor shaft. I used the azimuth rod with the ruler, as described above, and measured the height around the motor. This ensured that the HRX pulley was level and at the correct height.

NOTE: The original pulley and HRX pulley had the same height and the grooves on the pulleys were in identical vertical positions. This allowed measuring to the top of the pulley as a valid way to check the setup.

Ed
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
http://www.edsstuff.org
Prime | 3 Drive Belts | 2nd Pivot | ADS | Ortofon Quintet Black S | AQ Leopard | Liberty B2B-1
EdAInWestOC

Postby dancinbert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:22 am

Someone asked for a picture.
IMG_3895.JPG
IMG_3895.JPG (1.74 MiB) Viewed 352 times
dancinbert

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner