Prime with triple belt drive

Re: Prime with triple belt drive

Postby VinBob » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Nice job!

For some reason, I can't seem to get the spacing between my belts on the platter as they all naturally seem to bunch up together at the bottom, even though the height of the HRX pulley should allow me to... :?
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby JimTimP » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Is the general consensus that three belts sound better than two? I'm currently running my Prime Sig with 2 belts and a HRX pulley.

When I installed the HRX pulley, I measured the runout with a dial gauge and it was less than a 10,000th of an inch with the motor stopped and turned by hand. This while the motor was resting on a granite surface of known flatness.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD, ProJect DS2 Pre, VPI Prime Sig W/Soundsmith Voice/Lyra Delos on 2 Arms, ADS, Periphery Clamp. Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Phone Amp,
JimTimP

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:05 am

Boy, you guys must have magic ears. I can detect no audible difference between three belts and two or even one. Perhaps, the Roadrunner tach compensates for these changes, though. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby JimTimP » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 pm

I can't hear any difference.

But it looks cool. Does that count?

002.JPG
002.JPG (872.94 KiB) Viewed 377 times
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD, ProJect DS2 Pre, VPI Prime Sig W/Soundsmith Voice/Lyra Delos on 2 Arms, ADS, Periphery Clamp. Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Phone Amp,
JimTimP

Postby baddog » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 pm

What's cool is that second tonearm you have hiding underneath the Prime...
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby VinBob » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 am

What I would like to know, is what is the trick to getting spacing in between the belts as mine seem to want to bunch together at the bottom of the platter although the HRX Pulley seems to be high enough to make this happen...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:29 am

Vin, I think an even spacing among multiple belts is more a matter of aesthetics than performance. Usually, the belts align themselves in the first minute or two of platter rotation. If that's not happening, I'd experiment with slightly increasing and decreasing the separation of the motor from the plinth to change the tension on the belts, and then use something like a toothpick to locate the belts in the desired platter groves before you turn on the motor. Hope this helps. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby VinBob » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:11 am

Orchids1 wrote:Vin, I think an even spacing among multiple belts is more a matter of aesthetics than performance. Usually, the belts align themselves in the first minute or two of platter rotation. If that's not happening, I'd experiment with slightly increasing and decreasing the separation of the motor from the plinth to change the tension on the belts, and then use something like a toothpick to locate the belts in the desired platter groves before you turn on the motor. Hope this helps. Rich

Thanks Rich and I'll give that a try over the weekend, as I could swear I did have spacing between them at some point...!

I wonder if I have touched the belts by hand a little too much at this point that maybe I have some oils on there that may be affecting how they are adjusting onto the platter? I have hardly used the belts so I don't want to have to boil them to clean - what would be another simple method to clean the belts with? Some form of alcohol?

Cheers,
V.
VinBob

Postby Pevo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:30 am

VinBob, if your belts are bunching it's possible the pulley and the platter are not in the same plane. In other words, the pulley is slightly tilted towards (or away from) the platter causing the belts to move down (or up). The only reason I can think for this to happen is you leveled the turntable with the feet on an unlevel shelf. Thus, the motor is not level relative to the platter. I know this may be a stretch, but it's a thought. To see if it is so, try shimming the motor so it tilts slightly. Given the belts are bunching at the bottom I would suggest the foot closest to spindle, but if that doesn't work try others. Some thick paper, like a business card would be a good start (folding it or multiple cards may be needed). If that ends up being the problem then a motor foot could be unscrewed and a washer(s) put on the threaded shaft to act as a permanent shim (or just leave the paper shim!).
Pevo

Postby VinBob » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks Pevo!

To my eyes, everything seems level between the pulley and the platter and the shelf is level as well as the plinth and platter - all looks OK there.

I'll check on this over the weekend and report back. Just wanted to drop a quick note to thank you for the advice and suggestions. ;)
VinBob

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner