Question for all: upgrading phono cart and/or phon stage

Re: Question for all: upgrading phono cart and/or phon stage

Postby Dorian » Tue May 16, 2017 10:29 am

gene9p wrote:quiet meaning?...if they are talking about noise or hum I have none. It is dead quiet until I drop the needle then all I have is great music from my lps. The usual suspects that have some static irregardless of Chinook, my now sold Musical Surroundings, or built in stage on my Mac do not sound worse, if anything better.

I normally take 'quiet' to mean no background noise (as opposed to hum which is a separate problem). OK good to know that you're not hearing that.

Thanks.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby pvannest » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Well once again I have a serious issue with Soundsmith...... They never responded to my email to them and I just checked today. The cost to rebuild the Boheme is $300.00. NOT what I was guaranteed. I know it is not a lot of money. However, I have the screen shots saved, and as good as their cartridges are, I will start to look elsewhere and I will let everyone know.
VPI Classic 2 with Classic 3 arm
Soundsmith Boheme
Project RPM 1.3 with Acrilic platter and speedbox
Sumiko EVO III
Bottlehead Eros with Mundorf output caps
Bottlehead BePree
Two mismatched 12" subs
Emotiva SPA2
Cambridge Topaz CD10
Magnepan 3.7i
pvannest

Postby Dorian » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:55 am

Another question on the Manley Chinook. I already have tubes in my signal chain, in my integrated amp. If i switch out my current solid state phono preamp with the tubed Chinook, is that going to be too 'tubey'? How much tube is too much tube?
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby jonathanb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:30 am

Dorian wrote:Another question on the Manley Chinook. I already have tubes in my signal chain, in my integrated amp. If i switch out my current solid state phono preamp with the tubed Chinook, is that going to be too 'tubey'? How much tube is too much tube?

Let your ears be your guide. Only you can determine if your system sounds too "tube-y."
jonathanb

Postby gene9p » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:45 am

I was worried and inquired about that myself. No problems at all using the Chinook with my Mac tube pre amp. I was using a Musical Surroundings phenomena II +. An SS phono stage . The Stock tubes sound great in combo with the Genalex Gold 12 x 7's Lions in my Mac. The Phillips JD7's that come in the SE Chinook did not. Too bright for my taste but big soundstage. The Chinook has exceeded all my expectations.
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby EdAInWestOC » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:32 pm

I have a lot of respect for the Chinook and it was on my list up until the last round of eliminations. If you are in the market for a phono preamp and can swing $2k you need to audition the Lehmann Decade and the Liberty Audio B2B-1. Both are excellent preamps but I decided on the Liberty Audio B2B-1: http://www.libertyaudio.com/white-papers/b2b-1-phono-preamp.

It is an all FET class A phono preamp made by the direct to consumer arm of PBN audio. The B2B-1 is a copy of the circuitry from the PBN PX phono preamp (a $12k preamp). The B2B-1 is a single chassis version of that preamp.

It is the quietest preamp I have ever auditioned and digs out more low level detail than anything else you are likely to find in the $2 - 3k price range. You can buy the B2B-1 direct only and that is why it is cheap as it it. The sound is definitely not cheap and it has been on Mikey Fremers Gruvy list for phono preamps: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/liberty-audio-b2b-1-phono-preamplifier. He calls it a mini-Boulder 1008 which is pretty high praise.

Ed
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
http://www.edsstuff.org
Prime | 3 Drive Belts | 2nd Pivot | ADS | Ortofon Quintet Black S | AQ Leopard | Liberty B2B-1
EdAInWestOC

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner