Question for all: upgrading phono cart and/or phon stage

Re: Question for all: upgrading phono cart and/or phon stage

Postby Dorian » Sun May 14, 2017 4:50 pm

I am also looking to upgrade cart and phono stage. Any love for the Parasound Halo JC3+? Also considering Sutherland 20/20.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby kalaur » Sun May 14, 2017 7:17 pm

I've listened to the JC3+ a number of times. Its legit, and has a MC input. I however ended up with the Quicksilver phono stage. All tube, built in the USA, very underrated for the price.
kalaur

Postby Gary1955 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:56 pm

I use QuickSilver horn mono amps- if the QuickSilver phono stage is anything like their amps then I'm sure it's a excellent sounding unit! Very well built, reliable, made in the USA, and reasonably priced.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby Brf » Mon May 15, 2017 8:53 am

Dorian wrote:I am also looking to upgrade cart and phono stage. Any love for the Parasound Halo JC3+? Also considering Sutherland 20/20.

Both are very good and well respected. It will come down to personal preference.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 am

Brf wrote:
Dorian wrote:I am also looking to upgrade cart and phono stage. Any love for the Parasound Halo JC3+? Also considering Sutherland 20/20.

Both are very good and well respected. It will come down to personal preference.

Thanks Brf. Will try to audition both.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby fischerd » Mon May 15, 2017 10:39 am

Dorian,

Jay with Audio Revelation (also a VPI dealer) just got a JC3+ in on trade - mint, only 4 months old. You can can it at a good discount and with a 90 day warranty. Here is the link: https://audiorevelation.com/pre-owned-equipment/
fischerd

Postby TomD » Mon May 15, 2017 11:42 am

I really like my original JC3 (without the +). It's main disadvantage is lack of adjustability, which the JC3+ partially fixes, although it still isn't as flexible as a lot of other stages (the gain is still fixed). I auditioned it side by side with a Manley Chinook and a couple of others in the <$3000 price range. In the end there wasn't really a clear winner, they were all a bit different bit I wouldn't say better or worse.

In the end I went with Parasound because I use their other gear. They are one of the few manufacturers that provide a crossover in the pre-amps, which for me is a big plus. I e-mailed their support e-mail one evening with question about the specs of the JC3 - the owner, Richard Schram, e-mailed me back the same evening at 1am with the answer!

I am always amazed at the number of products available for such a niche item. Literally dozens to choose from, almost all of them well reviewed and with happy owners. Not sure how anyone makes a rational decision if they aren't in the business.

I think you have it narrowed down to a few great choices.

Good luck!

Tom
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby gene9p » Tue May 16, 2017 8:51 am

soundwatts wrote:Get a Manley Chinook. Lots of loading options for your cartridge journey.

Cartridges will come and go but a great phono stage facilitates all.

I have made some changes the past 2 years and nothing compares to what the Chinook did to my system and how it sounds. Get a Chinook first before you change cartridges. You may not ever feel the need to change cartridges again. It is that good. Avoid the Phillips tubes that come with the SE or upscale audio may try to sell you.The stocks rock.
VPI CLASSIC 2[WALNUT]W CLASSIC 3 ARM, VPI SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge,MANLEY CHINOOK Phono stage,MCINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp,PARASOUND A21 Amp,KRELL Showcase CD Player ,BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac,HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS,MORROW AUDIO Interconnects and Speaker Cables
gene9p

Postby Dorian » Tue May 16, 2017 9:48 am

gene9p wrote:
soundwatts wrote:Get a Manley Chinook. Lots of loading options for your cartridge journey.

Cartridges will come and go but a great phono stage facilitates all.

I have made some changes the past 2 years and nothing compares to what the Chinook did to my system and how it sounds. Get a Chinook first before you change cartridges. You may not ever feel the need to change cartridges again. It is that good. Avoid the Phillips tubes that come with the SE or upscale audio may try to sell you.The stocks rock.

Someone on Steve Hoffman who recently upgraded from an iPhono v2 (what I currently have) to the Chinook was raving about the Chinook, but did say it wasn't as quiet as the iPhono. Anyone care to comment on that?
Dorian

Postby gene9p » Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 am

quiet meaning?...if they are talking about noise or hum I have none. It is dead quiet until I drop the needle then all I have is great music from my lps. The usual suspects that have some static irregardless of Chinook, my now sold Musical Surroundings, or built in stage on my Mac do not sound worse, if anything better.
VPI CLASSIC 2[WALNUT]W CLASSIC 3 ARM, VPI SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge,MANLEY CHINOOK Phono stage,MCINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp,PARASOUND A21 Amp,KRELL Showcase CD Player ,BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac,HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS,MORROW AUDIO Interconnects and Speaker Cables
gene9p

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner