New VPI Phono Cartridge

Re: New VPI Phono Cartridge

Postby vienna acoustics » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 pm

I would say the opposite , the rounded edges offer better visibility to the cantilever, which is the one you have to align with the protractor’s line
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Tidal Contriva G2 SE, VPI Avenger Reference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, Airtight Opus 1DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby tom collins » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:06 am

i can't tell by looking at the picture, but miyajima's have been typically challenging because they do not have threaded holes so you have to manage that miniature nut.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, center weight, 12.0 arm, 12.7 arm, SDS, SRA platform; Soundsmith Gold Denon, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Cary Audio PH302 ver 2 phono-pre; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 88 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:48 am

In my time on the Forum, VPI has had short-lived collaborations with more than a few cartridge manufacturers with a view to producing special “VPI cartridges”. I believe these manufacturers have included Dynaco, Soundsmith, VAS, at least one or two others whose names I’ve forgotten, and now, apparently, Miyajima. Cartridge design and construction, although Harry claims it’s pretty straightforward, isn’t in VPI’s wheelhouse. While I’m sure that these various VPI-branded cartridges have been just fine, I’m also sure that many cartridges from these manufacturers that are not white labeled are superior. I wouldn’t get too carried away with VPI’s imprimatur. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:18 pm

tom collins wrote:i can't tell by looking at the picture, but miyajima's have been typically challenging because they do not have threaded holes so you have to manage that miniature nut.

That is of course unless you modify them as I have. So much easier/ Purchased a bunch of tiny threaded brass inserts (anybody want some?). Use a Dremel to very slightly widen the body holes just enough (insert goes in snug). Then epoxy in the inserts which have an indented center section. Piece of cake. I really don't understand why cartridge manufactures don't do this...In any event it works great and no fiddly tiny screws and nuts...I now use Soundmith mounting screws on both my Miyajima cartridges.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby tom collins » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Nice. I have wanted a Shilabe since I first heard it.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, center weight, 12.0 arm, 12.7 arm, SDS, SRA platform; Soundsmith Gold Denon, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Cary Audio PH302 ver 2 phono-pre; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 88 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner