Prime Signature vs. Avenger vs. Avenger Reference

Prime Signature vs. Avenger vs. Avenger Reference

Postby WeatherB » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi, Everyone,

I'm wondering if someone wants to take a stab at articulating the listening experiences and differences between the Prime Signature vs. Avenger vs. Avenger Reference. I own the Prime, but am considering upgrading to the Prime Signature or Avenger by years' end. But how much better is the Avenger over the Prime Signature (a *very* impressive table in it's own right!)? From what I can glean, the Avenger Ref. is a smoother, relaxed presentation yet with plenty of detail, bass and dynamics. Perhaps more like tape in that respect?

Thoughts?
WeatherB

Re: Prime Signature vs. Avenger vs. Avenger Reference

Postby Guss2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:07 pm

My advice would be to wait for the 40th Anniversary DD with Fatboy arm, then see how it shakes out.
Guss2

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:43 pm

In my system right now I have an Avenger Standard and a HRX with Avenger Reference specifications i.e dual motor rim drive, magnetic drive platter, 12-3DR tonearm and the pneumatic air suspension footers. I have only listened to the Prime Signature in another person’s system.

Going from the Prime Signature to the Averger series will get you the 12” 3D tonearm which in itself is a more relaxed and detailed presentation. The 12-3D gives up a little dynamics when compared to the 10-3D, but IMHO, well worth the upgrade.

The Avengers construction is very inert and provides a very solid foundation which translates into better bass articulation than the Prime Signature. The flexibility of the Avenger platform via multiple arms is only a plus if you decide to go the multiple arm route. The Avenger noise floor is very low whic does not mask inner detail.

The rim drive IMHO is a significant upgrade. The dual motors are tuned slightly out of phase of one another giving an almost cog free presentation with incredible leading edge notes which is said to be the sole domain of high torque direct drives. Once you hear a properly implemented rim drive, you will not go back. Musical attack and subtle musical nuances in spades

The mag drive platter is absolutely awesome. It separates and isolated the platter from any noise from the motor and outside parasitic vibrations. This translates into a low noise floor that is second to none, thus exposing subtle musical detail that is lost in most systems. The additional rotational mass of the platter driven by a dual motor rim drive gives you speed stability that will put to rest forever the notion that the table is not rotating at the correct speed.

The pneumatic air suspension feet are icing on the cake as they further isolate the plinth from the outside world. They are almost infinitely tuneable by varying air pressure.

If I had to pick a sweet spot in the Avenger lineup it would the Avenger Plus with the dual motor rim drive.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby WeatherB » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks, guys (Guss2 and brf) for your feedback!
WeatherB

Postby tony22 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Brent, dual motor rim drive over mag drive platter?
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:19 pm

tony22 wrote:Brent, dual motor rim drive over mag drive platter?

As I mentioned above, I would go rim drive before the mag drive

Brf wrote:If I had to pick a sweet spot in the Avenger lineup it would the Avenger Plus with the dual motor rim drive.
Brf
Site Admin

Return to Mat's Corner