2) Ortofon Anna
3) ARC Ref Phono 10 Preamp
4) ARC Ref 10 Linestage Preamp
5) ARC 750SE Power Amp
6) Magnepan 30.7 Speakers
7) Kimber 12TC Speaker Cables
8) ICs Kimber Select KS-1030
9) Phono IC AQ WEL Signature

From what I have read so far, the jury is still out on the 30.7s.

They are like all other full sized Maggies. They require the power and room that a speaker system of that size requires. If provided they are supposed to be dramatically good. I will hear them first hand when they arrive at my dealer.

I believe what J Valin wrote about them in TAS. I have yet to disagree with one of his reviews.

Ed
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
http://www.edsstuff.org
Prime|3 Drive Belts|2nd Pivot|ADS|Ortofon Windfeld Ti|AQ Leopard|Sky 30|Liberty B2B-1|MW-1
EdAInWestOC

Re: The VPI House

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:30 am

Another suggestion, if it can be called that. If I am correct, most owners of VPI tables tweek them to their personal liking after gaining some experience with different setups. With limited experience and budget (my Prime being the best table I have ever owned) I found the greatest improvement in sound from my less than ideal “desk rack”, came from the isolation platform block choice the table is on. ie, two blocks being better than one. If this performance improvement is true as a general rule, VPI might want to have a setup that emphasizes an isolation platform setup. I can understand why they might NOT such a setup, but when a customer can’t use an ideal rack, why not demo the benefits of isolation from the start? I’m not saying I have reached the end of my experiments, but that I’m pretty sure I’m 90% of the way there. Aside from gear that will be used, any thoughts on what the visitor should learn from visiting when it’s all done?
Mr_Putty

Postby Mat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:04 pm

I'm really liking these ideas! Perhaps we will all see some of these ideas in the house ;) Can't wait to have it open for all of you to visit!
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:55 am

Hi Mat,

Sorry if I missed this, but is there a date for the VPI house? I think you said this month when we last spoke but just wanted to confirm on the actual date if there is one. Thanks mate!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Packgrog » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 am

Mr_Putty wrote:I found the greatest improvement in sound from my less than ideal “desk rack”, came from the isolation platform block choice the table is on. ie, two blocks being better than one.

Not to get TOO off topic, but what do you mean by this? 2 blocks stacked on top of each other Dagwood Sandwich style, or a separate block for the motor detached from the block with the plinth? Both would indeed work well for different reasons (CLD in both cases, and increased isolation in the latter case).
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:39 am

Sandwich style, with vertical separation between all three of them. The middle layer is actually two rectangular pieces separated in the horizontal plane a few inches. There is lots of room for experimenting with this setup.
Mr_Putty

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner