Simple Fatboy Questions

Re: Simple Fatboy Questions

Postby MMMC » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:55 am

Marc wrote:
teenage diplomat wrote:Marc, first thanks again for all the great support when I visited with my HRX. It is singing very happily right now, in fact. :).

Looking at the pic of your HRX, there is one thing you might want to try if you haven't already - 3 belts from the motor/flywheel assembly to the platter. One will get the job done, but more is better in my experience; less slippage, better torque, faster to get up to speed. Just my $.02, YMMV. Enjoy! Cheers, Zach

You are welcome, it was nice to meet you in person! To be honest, I rushed home to set this up and forgot that it does take 3 belts when I was grabbing everything I needed to set it up. Rest assured it does have 3 belts now and I agree with you on the results. There are a still a few things that I want to do to modify my HR-X. However I don't want to side track this topic too much by talking all about it.

Marc,

I have been out of the VPI "loop" for a couple of months (compound fracture of left leg), so would like for you to confirm what I think has been written on the Fat Boy upgrade, and what it does, and does not mean for "my" possible upgrade.
I own an HRX, with a 12 inch 3DR arm, no dual pivot installation. Based on the prior discussed 75% trade in allowance for my 12 in 3DR, the 12 inch Fat Boy upgrade will cost me $1,074. Does that price include a dual pivot package, and counterweight replacement? Thanks.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby BillK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 am

Marc wrote:Right now we are using our standard outrigger and not the longer outriggers to make sure that it is compatible with ~96% of our tonearm bases out there. If you are unsure about your base please send us an email (info@vpiindustries.com) with the picture of it and we can let you know if it is compatible.

It's the standard 10" VTA tower that currently has a 10" 3D tonearm with the shorter outrigger weights; the longer outrigger weights hit the tower.
BillK

Postby Guss2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:50 am

MMMC wrote:
Marc wrote:
teenage diplomat wrote:Marc, first thanks again for all the great support when I visited with my HRX. It is singing very happily right now, in fact. :).

Looking at the pic of your HRX, there is one thing you might want to try if you haven't already - 3 belts from the motor/flywheel assembly to the platter. One will get the job done, but more is better in my experience; less slippage, better torque, faster to get up to speed. Just my $.02, YMMV. Enjoy! Cheers, Zach

You are welcome, it was nice to meet you in person! To be honest, I rushed home to set this up and forgot that it does take 3 belts when I was grabbing everything I needed to set it up. Rest assured it does have 3 belts now and I agree with you on the results. There are a still a few things that I want to do to modify my HR-X. However I don't want to side track this topic too much by talking all about it.

Marc,

I have been out of the VPI "loop" for a couple of months (compound fracture of left leg), so would like for you to confirm what I think has been written on the Fat Boy upgrade, and what it does, and does not mean for "my" possible upgrade.
I own an HRX, with a 12 inch 3DR arm, no dual pivot installation. Based on the prior discussed 75% trade in allowance for my 12 in 3DR, the 12 inch Fat Boy upgrade will cost me $1,074. Does that price include a dual pivot package, and counterweight replacement? Thanks.

MMMC

I don't think that price is correct, as per Matt's post in "The Fatboy" thread.
Customer’s Tonearm Customer Price w/ Trade In
JMW-10-3D $2,650
JMW-10-3DR $2,275
JMW-12-3D $2,215
JMW-12-3DR $1,600
Guss2

Postby Brf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 am

From Soundstage Direct's Website

MSRP Fatboy $3,999 (all lengths)

Trade in your JMW-10-Metal – Save $750 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-12-Metal – Save $1350 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-10-3D - Save $1349 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-10-3DR- Save $1724 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-12-3D - Save $1784 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-12-3DR - Save $2399 on Fatboy
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Guss2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am

Brf wrote:From Soundstage Direct's Website

MSRP Fatboy $3,999 (all lengths)

Trade in your JMW-10-Metal – Save $750 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-12-Metal – Save $1350 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-10-3D - Save $1349 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-10-3DR- Save $1724 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-12-3D - Save $1784 on Fatboy!
Trade in your JMW-12-3DR - Save $2399 on Fatboy

That looks correct.
Guss2

Postby Johnny » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:58 am

Is the Fatboy still considered a 3D printed tonearm now that the only thing that is 3D printed is the headshell and arm tube that is joined at the metal bearing ferrule? The rest of the arm is metal.
Johnny

Postby 930turbo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Does the FatBoy Tonearm come w/ an owner’s/ instruction manual? The FatBoy that we recently Installed did not have any . Although we were able to install it , I think it would help a lot if a manual comes along w/ it .
VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner