Simple Fatboy Questions

Simple Fatboy Questions

Postby Johnny » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 am

I have a few simple Fatboy questions:

1) What is the Fatboy's effective mass?
2) What wiring is used in the Fatboy?
3) Does the Fatboy come with a dual pivot? If so, is it integrated into the azimuth ring or is it an add-on like the current?
4) Does the Fatboy include a new tonearm support pillar due to its larger arm tube?
5) Does the Fatboy offer optional counter weights for very heavy cartridges?
Johnny

Re: Simple Fatboy Questions

Postby Marc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am

Hi Johnny,

I can help with most of the questions here:

1. I would need to check with Mat/Harry on this. If I'm not mistaken a JMW-12 Uni-Pivot Fatboy would be around 12g Effective Mass.

2. We use the Nordost Reference Wire in the Fatboy.

3. It does come with a dual pivot and it would be an add-on like the current.

4. You would use the same uni-pivot assembly. Unless you have the version with the damping cup. If you have that you may need to update to our newer style pivot assembly. You may also need to change the Arm Rest but I'm almost positive this comes with a new Arm Rest.

5. It does have an option for a heavier counterweight for heavy cartridges. If you are concerned please let the dealer know ahead of time what the weight of your cartridge is so we can make sure we provide the proper counterweight.

If you have any other questions please let me know.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI HR-X, Fatboy, & Voyager Phono| Ortofon A95| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:18 am

Marc, you're the man!
Johnny

Postby BillK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Is the Fatboy going to come in multiple outrigger weight sizes like the 3D for turntables like my SSM where there wasn't clearance for the longer outriggers? Or will the side weights now be short enough to clear the VTA tower?

Or does the entire assembly get replaced?

I assume my dealer would have to add the plate for the second pivot point.
BillK

Postby Marc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 am

BillK wrote:Is the Fatboy going to come in multiple outrigger weight sizes like the 3D for turntables like my SSM where there wasn't clearance for the longer outriggers? Or will the side weights now be short enough to clear the VTA tower?

Or does the entire assembly get replaced?

I assume my dealer would have to add the plate for the second pivot point.

Right now we are using our standard outrigger and not the longer outriggers to make sure that it is compatible with ~96% of our tonearm bases out there. If you are unsure about your base please send us an email (info@vpiindustries.com) with the picture of it and we can let you know if it is compatible.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI HR-X, Fatboy, & Voyager Phono| Ortofon A95| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby MOON » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Marc,

It looks like you upgraded both your turntable and cartridge from what you started out with in the beginning your employment at VPI Is that correct ?
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby Dorian » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 pm

MOON wrote:Marc,

It looks like you upgraded both your turntable and cartridge from what you started out with in the beginning your employment at VPI Is that correct ?

Pretty massive upgrade too! Can we see a picture Marc? How does the new rig sound?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Marc » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 am

Dorian wrote:
MOON wrote:Marc,

Pretty massive upgrade too! Can we see a picture Marc? How does the new rig sound?

Yes this is correct! I went from a AT Turntable that a friend was letting me use -> Prime w/ 2M Red -> Prime w/ Quintet Black -> Aries 3D w/ Quintet Black -> Aries 3D w/A95 -> HR-X w/ A95.

I also went from a PS Audio Sprout -> Musical Fidelity M6Si -> VPI Voyager for phono stages. So it's been an interesting journey since I started.

I'm loving this combination. The A95 has always been one of my dream cartridges and the HR-X was always my dream turntable and I can't believe I actually get to experience them in my system. I actually jumped a bit ahead of myself since the HR-X is bigger than my platform :shock: So I guess that and some new speakers are next on the list.

Here is a picture : Image

Here is a link to a larger picture: https://i.imgur.com/fHrhZ3P.jpg
Marc
Site Admin

Postby teenage diplomat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Marc, first thanks again for all the great support when I visited with my HRX. It is singing very happily right now, in fact. :).

Looking at the pic of your HRX, there is one thing you might want to try if you haven't already - 3 belts from the motor/flywheel assembly to the platter. One will get the job done, but more is better in my experience; less slippage, better torque, faster to get up to speed. Just my $.02, YMMV. Enjoy! Cheers, Zach
teenage diplomat

Postby Marc » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:26 pm

teenage diplomat wrote:Marc, first thanks again for all the great support when I visited with my HRX. It is singing very happily right now, in fact. :).

Looking at the pic of your HRX, there is one thing you might want to try if you haven't already - 3 belts from the motor/flywheel assembly to the platter. One will get the job done, but more is better in my experience; less slippage, better torque, faster to get up to speed. Just my $.02, YMMV. Enjoy! Cheers, Zach

You are welcome, it was nice to meet you in person! To be honest, I rushed home to set this up and forgot that it does take 3 belts when I was grabbing everything I needed to set it up. Rest assured it does have 3 belts now and I agree with you on the results. There are a still a few things that I want to do to modify my HR-X. However I don't want to side track this topic too much by talking all about it.
Marc
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mat's Corner