What do you think the 40th will be?

What do you think the 40th will be?

Postby Mat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:26 am

I figured I would throw out a wild card post of what you all think our 40th Anniversary table will be :D Who knows, maybe there will be some good/influencing ideas here ;)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Re: What do you think the 40th will be?

Postby Brf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 am

Hmmm, that’s a tough one. How to create a 40th anniversary product that does not cannibalize your existing sales and fits into your existing product hierarchy? IMHO, you have already shot yourself in the foot my launching the Prime Signature which would have made an excellent 40th anniversary product.

Perhaps a direct drive Prime Signature utilizing a less expensive motor than the Classic Direct?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 10ovr » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:47 am

Brf wrote:Hmmm, that’s a tough one. How to create a 40th anniversary product that does not cannibalize your existing sales and fits into your existing product hierarchy? IMHO, you have already shot yourself in the foot my launching the Prime Signature which would have made an excellent 40th anniversary product.

Perhaps a direct drive Prime Signature utilizing a less expensive motor than the Classic Direct?

Or maybe a rim drive Signature in acrylic like the Aries and HRX
10ovr

Postby EdAInWestOC » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 am

I would like to see some automation features that could be added to existing tables. Maybe remote control VTA on the fly with multiple memory presets so we could pre-program our settings. You have the Tru-lift but a table with your own built in end of LP lift, return the tonearm to rest and motor shutoff. If that could be done without negatively effecting the tonearm, it may be a welcomed addition.

How about a standalone VPI stylus hour meter? Have you considered your own VPI branded phono cartridges?

You already have a long list of great turntables and adding another one may be one model too many.

Ed
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
http://www.edsstuff.org
Prime|3 Drive Belts|2nd Pivot|ADS|Ortofon Windfeld Ti|AQ Leopard|Sky 30|Liberty B2B-1|MW-1
EdAInWestOC

Postby jonathanb » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:15 am

I'm guessing a modernized HW-19 with direct drive.
jonathanb

Postby JohnCh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 am

Mat, I think the questions for you are what kind of statement do you want to make with the 40th Anniversary table and at what price point? Is this supposed to celebrate your past or simply point to the future? Are you looking for this to be a profitable piece with good sales volume, or something that gets people talking but ultimately drives purchases of other VPI tables or upgrades?

Some interesting concepts have been thrown out already, but a little clarity on your objectives might help spur more actionable ideas :)

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, CIAudio PEQ1 MKII w/AC15 MKII power supply, Oppo BDP-105, ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, CIAudio E200S, Magnepan 1.7i w/Mye stands, REL Strata III
JohnCh

Postby Brf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:51 am

jonathanb wrote:I'm guessing a modernized HW-19 with direct drive.

That was one of my initial thoughts until I realized that the Classic series of tables was supposed to be an improved redesign of the HW-19. I don't think we will see a cheaper direct drive HW-19/Classic table as VPI is moving towards a more standardize table platform/plinth and that is why I suggested a Direct Drive Prime.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Brf wrote:
jonathanb wrote:I'm guessing a modernized HW-19 with direct drive.

That was one of my initial thoughts until I realized that the Classic series of tables was supposed to be an improved redesign of the HW-19. I don't think we will see a cheaper direct drive HW-19/Classic table and VPI is moving towards a more standardize table platform/plinth and that is why I suggested a Direct Drive Prime.

Perhaps at the same price point as the Technics SL-1000R.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby mreeter » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:53 pm

10ovr wrote:
Brf wrote:Hmmm, that’s a tough one. How to create a 40th anniversary product that does not cannibalize your existing sales and fits into your existing product hierarchy? IMHO, you have already shot yourself in the foot my launching the Prime Signature which would have made an excellent 40th anniversary product.

My vote as well!
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Brf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:17 pm

mreeter wrote:
10ovr wrote:

My vote as well!

IMHO, an acrylic/aluminum ply plinth would be too close to the Avenger. A dual motor rim drive cannot be adapted very easily to the 4 footer Prime. A single motor rim drive could be an option for the Prime.
Brf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mat's Corner