Capital Audiofest 2021

Re: Capital Audiofest 2021

Postby macster » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:51 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:The Linn Radikal kit includes the power supply, a new DC motor, and the optical feedback sensor and controller which provides speed control. It currently retails for $4250, so the SDS2 is similarly priced. Point being that $4k is not unheard of for this sort of component.

From the conversation provided in the videos it doesn't "appear" that the SDSII includes all of that. But comparatively speaking the Sota option is a no-brainer.
Sorry.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:41 pm

Yes, I agree.

In the case of Linn, there is a fellow in Hong Kong named Edmund who builds and sells a kit similar to the Radikal for less than $1000. He calls his the Mober Maxxon, Maxxon being the Swiss company that builds the motors used in each.

I have one of each (different tables).

The Radikal uses 1 per rev optical feedback and compares to a proprietary digital clock.

The Mober Maxxon uses 16 per rev optical feedback and compares to an onboard reference oscillator.

Linn’s greatest defense of the cost is the R&D behind their jitter free clock.
The performance of Edmund’s looks to me like that of an analog second order closed loop control system. That should be jitter free too.

Many people claim they can hear major differences. Others claim they don’t hear any difference.

Since my two tables aren’t identical (Kore vs Keel subchassis, Ittok vs Ekos SE arm, Etna vs Kleos cartridge, Harbin vs Greeves plinth, etc etc etc), I can’t say anything about the sound of these drivers. But I can say that both provide excellent speed control.
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby Johnny » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:The SDS was better than the ADS in my system.

Is the SDS2 going to be closed loop or open loop? I hope it’s the former.

From the VPI website

Our new SDS(SDS 2?) has the following features to name a few:

Digital readout display
Easy Adjustment between 33 and 45
Phase angel adjustment between the voltage and current going to the motor to make the motor super quite, no capacitor needed
Can install a Feed back loop to set speed
Can be used with an Ac Synchronize, BLDC, or a 3 phase motor
Potential capability to run and adjust off your phone, Bluetooth compatible
Keeps time of rotation, useful for cartridge life.
Johnny

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:46 pm

Yes, I found it here. It’s probably just copied from the VPI press release.

https://audio-head.com/vpi-updates-thei ... enger/amp/
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby Mat » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:47 am

In hindsight, the SDS to ADS changed I think was more of an engineer paradigm change. The Engineer who worked with Harry had one philosophy, where as that engineering philosophy changed with a different engineer. In the big picture I don't think either was right or wrong, but the original SDS was certainly out of date. With the SDS2 it is taking a lot of those original concepts and bringing it up to the latest in technology while added a lot of requested and necessary aspects. Of course the back hurdle now is going to be getting the supplies! Regardless, its happening, parts are on order, when they get here, who the heck knows! But they will happen for 2022. I was pretty bummed that the intended box didn't make it for Capital. But in the big picture, positive progress :D
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby teenage diplomat » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:22 pm

mat,

The SDS2 sure looked impressive at CAF, even in its current case. My only question is its price. If its intended market is current owners of Avenger and above 'tables, I can see it, but below that level I suspect there will be reluctance. But what do I know - I'm just a happy HRX owner! Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, and it was great seeing you and your Dad at CAF.
teenage diplomat

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner