Finally had it with the cueing lever dropping too fast.

Re: Finally had it with the cueing lever dropping too fast.

Postby Fishflood » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:13 pm

I just ordered a Jelco one from VAS. Get one while they last!

I went through 4 different ones from VPI during my upgrade process that I just completed; two I purchased and two that came with arms and none of them were any good. Inconsistent at best. Stuck and needing to be pushed down or just dropping on the record at worst.
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/Ebony Wood body Denon 103R Microline Retip
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Kfscoll » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 pm

seamonster wrote:Just received 300,000 Cst silicone fluid from turntablebasics.com yesterday, so, maybe still in stock.

Did you use the fluid you received with the stock VPI lifter? If so, how well did it work?
Kfscoll

Postby seamonster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Kfscoll, it worked just okay. I commented in another thread that it didn't provide the steady, slow drop I'd hoped for; tipping the cueing lever about 30° from vertical causes it to drop slowly enough to prevent a dreadful thunk. The excess fluid I applied dripped from the open bottom of my device. edw tried 500,000 cst and said it worked fine, without elaborating. Haven't ordered any yet.
seamonster

Postby Kfscoll » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:46 pm

seamonster wrote:Kfscoll, it worked just okay. I commented in another thread that it didn't provide the steady, slow drop I'd hoped for; tipping the cueing lever about 30° from vertical causes it to drop slowly enough to prevent a dreadful thunk. The excess fluid I applied dripped from the open bottom of my device. edw tried 500,000 cst and said it worked fine, without elaborating. Haven't ordered any yet.

Hey seamonster, thanks for the reply. I put 300,000 cSt oil in my lever today and it only slightly helped - I still basically have to ride the lever down. I'm sure I didn't put too little oil in either, so I guess I'll try 500K or possibly even 1M cSt. At least it's easy to clean the mechanism out and replace the oil, but it's surprising that VPI hasn't found a better supplier for their cueing levers. I'm on my third replacement which is crazy considering my Prime is just over one year old.
Kfscoll

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 am

The cueing mechanism has been the biggest and most frustrating weak link in VPI tables for years. Members have complained of it since the Forum was created. I recall that VPI changed its supplier two or three years ago. I thought that that had improved things, but I guess not. You can buy compatible cueing mechanisms made by other manufacturers. I’m not sure, but I think mine is made by Jelco (sp?). In any case, my replacement has worked well for several years. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Postby theeng » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Both my VPI tonearms 10.5 & 12-3D have Jelco cueing devices; and both required refresh + I had one brand-new Jelco unit. I used 300K CST silicone which is like glue ( https://www.speedworldhobbies.com/On_Ro ... 0&pID=1967) for the refresh.

When I disassembled both there was at best a light coating of oil. I cleaned the housing body internal with a cue-tip wetted with IPA, and then applied the oil to the plunger (with toothpick) - but added enough to fill completely fill ridges (Jelco has only 2 ridges) and then inserted into the body. Excess oil will collect on the top - wipe away (very sticky) and then reassemble. With this procedure and the 10.5 at VTF of 1.5 gm - it takes about 5.5-6 seconds to drop. The brand-new Jelco with the 12-3D at VTF of 1.75 gm drops at about 4.5 seconds.
theeng

Postby seamonster » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:55 pm

theeng, my application process was the same as yours. Perhaps the Jelco has better machining. If I'm not mistaken, VPI changed to an American manufacturer. I get about two seconds of drop time. My VTF is currently 2.1g. I'm pretty envious of four to five seconds!
seamonster

Postby theeng » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:53 am

seamonster wrote:theeng, my application process was the same as yours. Perhaps the Jelco has better machining. If I'm not mistaken, VPI changed to an American manufacturer. I get about two seconds of drop time. My VTF is currently 2.1g. I'm pretty envious of four to five seconds!

Just one piece of info that may or may not have any bearing - my cueing device is set as high as near possible and in the raised position the stylus tip is about 5 mm above the record, so its dropping at about 1mm/sec.
theeng

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner