What Do you Want to See?

Re: What Do you Want to See?

Postby Lewisranchmike » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:58 pm

Is it possible to get a tone arm weight that Easily turns in small increments so it is easy to dial in weight. I think you have this on the Fatboy but I would like one I could retrofit to my 12”arm.

Help,

Mike in Austin
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Direct Wire from Lemo to ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:12 pm

VinBob wrote:I would love to see more instructional videos - especially one on how to install the dual pivot...Pleeeeeeeeaasse... :D ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

The install is relatively easy. It’s the tuning that’s tricky. Maybe that is what you are asking for?
There is a lot of info in the forum (search for second pivot) and more than one way to use it. Start simple and revise as needed. Make sure the adjusting screw is not overly tight (or loose) before you mount it on the arm. I suggest a tiny bit of CA to lock it in position on the arm (not the adjusting screw!) and some hand polishing of the plate with a metal cleaner and use of a dry lubricant after that. Check the azimuth of your arm before you install and duplicate it after the install. That is the starting point adjustment. Then work on the loading of the point.
Mr_Putty

Postby VinBob » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:33 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:
VinBob wrote:I would love to see more instructional videos - especially one on how to install the dual pivot...Pleeeeeeeeaasse... :D ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

The install is relatively easy. It’s the tuning that’s tricky. Maybe that is what you are asking for?
There is a lot of info in the forum (search for second pivot) and more than one way to use it. Start simple and revise as needed. Make sure the adjusting screw is not overly tight (or loose) before you mount it on the arm. I suggest a tiny bit of CA to lock it in position on the arm (not the adjusting screw!) and some hand polishing of the plate with a metal cleaner and use of a dry lubricant after that. Check the azimuth of your arm before you install and duplicate it after the install. That is the starting point adjustment. Then work on the loading of the point.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I can get the basic install done but it’s all the tuning, loading using blue tack on one side of the loading weight etc. and the many other things I have read which unfortunately, just put me off.

What are you referring to as “CA” and is there a specific dry lubricant and metal cleaner you use? Again, additional things that need to be addressed not mentioned in the documentation which further adds to the confusion and extra efforts involved. To add, some people swear that a single unipivot setup is better with the main advantage of the dual pivot being a more stable arm for queuing onto the vinyl. I am totally happy with the wobbly queuing and have just stuck to the standard configuration but I have made the investment, so I am still curious to try it if I can get some visual guidance...
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Mr_Putty » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:37 am

What are you referring to as “CA” and is there a specific dry lubricant and metal cleaner you use? Again, additional things that need to be addressed not mentioned in the documentation which further adds to the confusion and extra efforts involved. To add, some people swear that a single unipivot setup is better with the main advantage of the dual pivot being a more stable arm for queuing onto the vinyl. I am totally happy with the wobbly queuing and have just stuck to the standard configuration but I have made the investment, so I am still curious to try it if I can get some visual guidance...[/quote]

CA is short for Super glue, I used a generic medium viscosity.
The metal polish I used is called Mr. Metal, a general all purpose product. Thats what I had on hand. Some people like Mothers brand. I haven’t tried it. For me the second pivot made the most difference on the center portion to the end of a record. Thats where my tonearm wire began to affect the azimuth alignment. Some setups bend the wire to minimize the effect. I prefer a simple loop in the wire.
I use powered PTFE for the plate lubricant, and a small brush to spread it. Model shops have it. Amazon should as well. Only a small amount is needed. I would clean the plate with alcohol before applying it, but it probably doesn’t matter. You can dust the plate with a small brush about once a week to redistribute the PTFE.
Mr_Putty

Postby VinBob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:47 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:What are you referring to as “CA” and is there a specific dry lubricant and metal cleaner you use? Again, additional things that need to be addressed not mentioned in the documentation which further adds to the confusion and extra efforts involved. To add, some people swear that a single unipivot setup is better with the main advantage of the dual pivot being a more stable arm for queuing onto the vinyl. I am totally happy with the wobbly queuing and have just stuck to the standard configuration but I have made the investment, so I am still curious to try it if I can get some visual guidance...

CA is short for Super glue, I used a generic medium viscosity.
The metal polish I used is called Mr. Metal, a general all purpose product. Thats what I had on hand. Some people like Mothers brand. I haven’t tried it. For me the second pivot made the most difference on the center portion to the end of a record. Thats where my tonearm wire began to affect the azimuth alignment. Some setups bend the wire to minimize the effect. I prefer a simple loop in the wire.
I use powered PTFE for the plate lubricant, and a small brush to spread it. Model shops have it. Amazon should as well. Only a small amount is needed. I would clean the plate with alcohol before applying it, but it probably doesn’t matter. You can dust the plate with a small brush about once a week to redistribute the PTFE.[/quote]

Much appreciated!
Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner