End of Dealer Training

Re: End of Dealer Training

Postby J_Perkins » Sun May 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Let us know how it goes. I may be next in line!
:D

Will do. I thought about seeing if VPI would sell me an empty motor pod shell so I could keep the stock one as is but most likely, I'll drop off my current motor, have a few days of downtime, and they'll put their motor in the existing pod/housing and then I should be in business.
J_Perkins

Postby J_Perkins » Mon May 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Let us know how it goes. I may be next in line!

I just made payment to kind of get in line for them to do the motor transplant. I'll drop mine off in about a week and report back but I'm sure it's going to be great. Donna at SOTA has been very helpful.
J_Perkins

Postby 529proaudio » Mon May 18, 2020 9:28 pm

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what exactly is the audible benefit of controlling the motor with one of the ADS/SDS/Roadrunner devices? I know that the RPM can affect pitch if it is way off, but surely the stock motor isn't THAT unstable? Is this just for the very rare few who can detect pitch in ways most of us can't?
VPI Prime | Hana SL MC | Bob's Devices SKY20 Integrated VPI SUT | Don Sachs Tube Phonostage | Schiit Mani Phonostage | Mapleshade Clearview Interconnect | Musical Fidelity M2Si Amp | Tannoy XT 8F | Audioquest Rocket 11
529proaudio

Postby J_Perkins » Mon May 18, 2020 10:34 pm

529proaudio wrote:I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what exactly is the audible benefit of controlling the motor with one of the ADS/SDS/Roadrunner devices? I know that the RPM can affect pitch if it is way off, but surely the stock motor isn't THAT unstable? Is this just for the very rare few who can detect pitch in ways most of us can't?

It probably comes down to how picky you are. My table is still breaking in but it's already quite good in terms of wow & flutter. It does run a hair fast but what's considered acceptable is a subjective thing.

I wouldn't call the stock Prime Scout motor unstable at all, but I'm the kind of person that if there is a way to make something better, I'll try it. Within reason. I know the Prime Scout is not a Prime or Avenger or 5 figure TT but I've committed to this price range for now and willing to try some upgrades to improve on it, always looking for the weakest link which again is very subjective and perspectival. The Prime Scout right out of the box is already amazing.

I also want to be able to transfer test pressings for my clients to digital for those who don't have great turntable setups so they can not be cornered there is an issue with their test pressing. Many perceived test pressing problems are really just poorly setup cheap turntables.

So to answer the question, the Condor/Eagle/Roadrunner combo help with speed accuracy and consistency for those who are super sensitive or concerned about it.
J_Perkins

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon May 18, 2020 10:53 pm

529proaudio wrote:I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what exactly is the audible benefit of controlling the motor with one of the ADS/SDS/Roadrunner devices? I know that the RPM can affect pitch if it is way off, but surely the stock motor isn't THAT unstable? Is this just for the very rare few who can detect pitch in ways most of us can't?

Another benefit is the ability to experiment with belts of different materials or number of belts while keeping speed constant. Comparison without speed control is just too difficult and unreliable. Thanks to brf for pointing this out to me.
Mr_Putty

Postby vienna acoustics » Mon May 18, 2020 11:46 pm

A sophisticated well designed speed controller besides the speed accuracy and stability, is providing the most important factor ....the timing.

Music from a turntable with the right timing is live, coherent and palpable. A turntable with the right timing will provide the right instruments sustains, articulation, more detail, musicality and resolution. With the right timing the spatial information and ambience of the live event is successfully transferred to the listener.

@J_Perkins, with his Upcoming upgrade will experience soon the accurate timing feeling and together with the low noise, low vibration BLWS motor will also experience the effortless flow of music.

The moment I had experienced the effect of accurate timing, I was amazed and I couldn’t believe the improvement degree of my turntable and the unbelievable improvement of the listening experience and feeling. Since then I have listened to many turntables but none that could replace my current Avenger Reference and what the Rim drive is providing.
!
vienna acoustics

Postby J_Perkins » Tue May 19, 2020 9:30 am

vienna acoustics wrote:
@J_Perkins, with his Upcoming upgrade will experience soon the accurate timing feeling and together with the low noise, low vibration BLWS motor will also experience the effortless flow of music.

And thank you for letting me know about this. I kept finding the SOTA site now and then when I was researching, but then forgetting about them and still searching for Phoenix Engineering which the website is of course down. So, I was confused about what is available and what's what. Now I get it.

When I learned that SOTA was in my neighborhood I figured it was a no-brainer to just do the entire Condor/Roadrunner thing and be done with it. I can pick it up from their shop for safe transport. SOTA really flies under the radar since I didn't even know they existed and I've lived in Wisconsin nearly 40 years and been into audio nearly all my life.

It seems silly that VPI wouldn't have partnered with this unit since it seems already perfect, and nothing else really like it.
J_Perkins

Postby 529proaudio » Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 pm

vienna acoustics wrote:A sophisticated well designed speed controller besides the speed accuracy and stability, is providing the most important factor ....the timing.

Music from a turntable with the right timing is live, coherent and palpable. A turntable with the right timing will provide the right instruments sustains, articulation, more detail, musicality and resolution. With the right timing the spatial information and ambience of the live event is successfully transferred to the listener.

The moment I had experienced the effect of accurate timing, I was amazed and I couldn’t believe the improvement degree of my turntable and the unbelievable improvement of the listening experience and feeling. Since then I have listened to many turntables but none that could replace my current Avenger Reference and what the Rim drive is providing.

When you speak of motor noise, do you mean resonance that is picked up by the cartridge from the vibration of the motor or are you actually talking about audible noise of the motor itself? I know this is subjective, but would you say that the improvements from the SOTA system are on par with upgrading to a nicer phonostage?

Also, if anyone who from the Phoenix Engineering system to the SOTA system wants to sell me their old setup, let me know.

Best,
Chris
VPI Prime | Hana SL MC | Bob's Devices SKY20 Integrated VPI SUT | Don Sachs Tube Phonostage | Schiit Mani Phonostage | Mapleshade Clearview Interconnect | Musical Fidelity M2Si Amp | Tannoy XT 8F | Audioquest Rocket 11
529proaudio

Previous

Return to Mat's Corner