Turntable Maintenance Video

Turntable Maintenance Video

Postby Mat » Thu May 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Hey all, here is the first of our setup videos! Hope this video is helpful and stay tuned for more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHmYWT3 ... e=youtu.be
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Re: Turntable Maintenance Video

Postby Johnny » Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 am

Well done. A couple of comments. Why no mention of cleaning out the old platter bearing grease? How does the oil get to the motor bearing when placed on top of the pulley which has a very tight fit on the shaft? What about cleaning the belt?
Johnny

Postby gene9p » Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am

great video for lubing your table!!!!
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
SNELL KIII monitors
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby WERA689 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:03 pm

Nicely done, and very concise. I'll be doing this as soon as I get set up again! Thanks, Mat.
WERA689

Postby Votan » Sat May 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Dear Mat,
With all the respect I think that your video is a bit misleading concerning the motor bearing lubrication.
What needs oil lubrication is the axle’s bearing (deep down inside the motor housing) and the only way to do that is to place one or two drops of light weight oil on the motor shaft below the brass collar (which is bellow the pulley) if you raise it a bit to drop properly the oil. In doing this you don’t need to take of the pulley.
Certainly it’s best to totally remove the collar (then you need to remove pulley as well) but this is strictly an expert’s job because afterwards you must align properly the rotor to the stator of motor.
Placing oil on top of the pulley or on the spindle on top of collar if you remove the pulley (as you recommend in your video) is meaningless because this way oil no way can reach motor bearing. Instead it could be harmful for the pulley due to the corrosive action of some mineral oils to the derlin, not to mention that all we need is a very tight grab between motor spindle and pulley and not at all a slippery one due to oil in the spindle and pulley.
Prime Signature+10”3DR, Finite Element(FE) platform,ADS,Lyra Delos & Titan,WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable,Groove Plus-SRX MkII Phono Stage,Moon 740 Pre,Moon 820 PSU,ATC 100 Active Speakers,AQ Niagara IC,WW Silver Electra A/C,FE Ref Rack,RPG Tr/ment.
Votan

Postby schugh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm

I have a classic signature which I got about 4.5 years ago.
I've never put oil in the motor bearing because I never understood how to do it.
I read the forums here and there is much variation on the topic it still left me confused.

After watching this video, I went to take look at my motor and pulley etc.
It seems like I need to do the same thing.

But at the beginning where you say to put a couple of drops in the hole in the pulley, I see it but the motor shaft is flush with the hole in the pulley.
I don't see a hole like in the video.

I then though let me see if I can remove the pulley (I wanted to do figure this out anyway as I want to upgrade to the HRX pulley soon).
I see that I have two holes for the set screws instead of three.

What allen key size do I need to loosen these screws? I tried several that I think one of them should have worked.
But nothing worked. Shining a flash light I can't 100% tell if there is a screw in there or not. I think there is.

So that's the main question I guess. What allen key do I need? or I read somewhere the pulley might be pressure fit onto the motor shaft?
How do I tell?

Thanks,

-- Sanjay
schugh

Return to Mat's Corner