Fatboy Counter Weight

Re: Fatboy Counter Weight

Postby 10ovr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:17 am

miner wrote:I like the look of the O-rings - can you pass on the details of the O-rings?

You can also find them at any hardware store,,Ace has a big selection of O rings ..Just bring one down with ya and match them up,,,
10ovr

Postby miner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:39 am

Thank you Gents.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ort. Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 reg.; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sf Electa Amator III; Sf Gravis II sub
miner

Postby tony22 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:16 pm

I stopped by the factory to get one of these new Fatboy counterweights with plates. First, as always, it was great to see Mat and both the regular and new members of the VPI team (thanks JT!). As expected, the new CW does result in midway positioning with my LP-S - I guess that's better but I was able to get by okay otherwise. Was is hard to argue with, of course, is the improved flexibility everyone can have with this new multi-piece weight. Thumbs up to VPI for responding to their customers.

A tip to anyone planning to get this - attach the plate or plates(if you need to use them) loosely before sliding the CW back onto the end stub collet. There is literally no play in the inner diameter of the assembly once the plates are screwed tight. You'll need the slop to finagle the CW back on to the stub. Once it's in place then tighten down the two screws holding the plates in place.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby miner » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Okay, added the new counterweight this weekend. Both donuts attached, too much wt. One donut attached, not enough wt. - with one donut attached and CW all the way forward, VTF was 0.93g. This is not making any sense to me why I am have such a difficult time setting up my arm/cartridge. Previously, my initial smaller CW all the way back could not balance the arm. The newer CW seems to be a bit larger, but the donut mounting holes do not match my first CW so I was not able to try attaching those to the lighter CW.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ort. Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 reg.; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sf Electa Amator III; Sf Gravis II sub
miner

Postby 10ovr » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:57 pm

miner wrote:Okay, added the new counterweight this weekend. Both donuts attached, too much wt. One donut attached, not enough wt. - with one donut attached and CW all the way forward, VTF was 0.93g. This is not making any sense to me why I am have such a difficult time setting up my arm/cartridge. Previously, my initial smaller CW all the way back could not balance the arm. The newer CW seems to be a bit larger, but the donut mounting holes do not match my first CW so I was not able to try attaching those to the lighter CW.

You could drill some holes in one of the plates till you get it right,,Or go with some Soundsmith EZ Mount Cartridge Screws,,Stainless Steel should give you the weight you need with one donut ,,
10ovr

Postby tony22 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:17 am

miner wrote:Okay, added the new counterweight this weekend. Both donuts attached, too much wt. One donut attached, not enough wt. - with one donut attached and CW all the way forward, VTF was 0.93g. This is not making any sense to me why I am have such a difficult time setting up my arm/cartridge. Previously, my initial smaller CW all the way back could not balance the arm. The newer CW seems to be a bit larger, but the donut mounting holes do not match my first CW so I was not able to try attaching those to the lighter CW.

Yeah, this doesn't seem to make any sense. Remind me - do you have the gimbal or unipivot Fatboy? And this is with the Cadenza Black? The Black is about 11 grams IIRC. Shouldn't be any problem at all I think even without the two extra plates.

:?:
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Brf » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 am

Since you stated that the new counter weight appears to be a bit larger than your original, did you try the new cw without any additional plates? The Cadenza Black is not that heavy of a cartridge, therefore, it should work with the standard cw without additional plate(s).
Brf
Site Admin

Postby miner » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:29 am

I have the Unipivot arm. I am using the CW w/o any plates but I had to add the two mounting screws (about 2.3 g total) to the CW to make it work. Not a fan of the mounting screws since they do not seat completely to the CW surface - sticking out about 5cm. And the Cadenza Black is close to 11g with mounting screws.
miner

Postby 930turbo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi fellow forum members ,
I ordered a unipivot FatBoy 12” and it’s arriving next week . Any forum members using a Lyra Kleos w/ the FatBoy .Any experience , no counterweight issues. I wanted to get a Gimbal but changed my mind in the last minute because I would like the ability to change armwands quick .

Thanks in advance ,

VPI TNT 6,Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X FatBoy uni 12,Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line,REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby tony22 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:44 am

930, I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine you will have any counterweight issues with a Kleos. It's an 8.8g cart - figure with screws on the lighter side you're talking about maybe 11-12 grams. I'd be pretty surprised if this turned out to be any sort of problem.
tony22

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner