Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turntable Lubrication
So are we now recommending the Super Lube grease for all turntables that were formerly "oil bath" types?  I have a Prime Scout and have been using oil.  Should I switch to the Super Grease?
No, oil bath bearings use oil, not grease.

Just like the name implies, the bearing contact point is bathed in oil.

Use synthetic 30 or 40 weight motor oil. Any quick change oil shop will gracious give you a cap full.
(06-23-2022, 04:13 PM)Brf Wrote: No, oil bath bearings use oil, not grease. 

Just like the name implies, the bearing contact point is bathed in oil. 

Use synthetic 30 or 40 weight motor oil.  Any quick change oil shop will gracious give you a cap full.

Thanks!
I will post this here as I don't want to clutter up the forum with my threads. I have a buzzing noise on my headphones from the phono input. It gets louder as I turn the volume up. It does get quieter when I ground the TT but then I get (more annoyingly) a fuzzy radio station when I turn up the volume. Do I have a ground loop? My setup:
VPI Prime Scout 3D arm 9"
Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII
Monoprice Premium Interconnect
Soundsmith MMP3 MKII Phono Stage
Monoprice Monolith Interconnect
Woo Audio WA2
Sennheiser HD800 S
Everything is Plugged into a 20 amp Furman power conditioner.
Generic power cables
Try putting a pair of rca shorting plugs on the phono rca inputs when using the headphones. Obviously, you can’t do this if your listening to vinyl through the headphones.
(06-26-2022, 01:51 PM)Brf Wrote: Try putting a pair of rca shorting plugs on the phono rca inputs when using the headphones.  Obviously, you can’t do this if your listening to vinyl through the headphones.

Thanks.  I am a little confused.  I only listen to the vinyl through headphones. And the noise only comes from the TT. Other inputs are dead quiet.
If the noise changes with volume, it is most likely not a ground issue. Try a different set of phono cables with a good shield that provides RFI/EMI from contaminating the delicate phono signal.
(06-27-2022, 11:30 AM)Brf Wrote: If the noise changes with volume, it is most likely not a ground issue.  Try a different set of phono cables with a good shield that provides RFI/EMI from contaminating the delicate phono signal.

OK.