Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono Pre for Prime
Hi,

I have a Prime (the one with the older, black feet).  I'm using it with a Soundsmith Aida (older squared corners version) going direct into a Plinius integrated.  My vinyl collection is about 1,500 records which are mostly audiophile MOFI, AP/QRP, Craft, RTI, etc.

I'm now looking to upgrade into a nice, forever phono preamp.  I've read good things about the Sutherland 20/20, I noticed Stereophile rated it Class A years ago.  I tend to hold on to my components for a long time.  I think my integrated is around 20 years old and I recently had it serviced - it sounds great with my old Cary CD player.  

Is the Sutherland a good match for the VPI?  I've also been considering the Manley Chinook but would prefer to stay solid state.  I see good things about Whest, but this seems to be a relatively new company, which I'm likely to shy away from.  

Can anyone comment regarding whether the Sutherland and VPI shake hands well?

Thanks!
Both are very good phono stages. I've not used the Sutherland, but do have the Chinook.
VPI Classic 1 with VTA on-the fly & Fatboy Gimbal, PE Eagle/RR, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, VAS Nova HW & Soundsmith Paua
Anthem AVM70, Rogue RP-5, Rogue ST-100, VTV 7 ch amp, Oppo 203/103D, Cambridge CXNv2
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, S2, and HTM200SE's, 2 x Rythmik E15s
(06-17-2022, 01:16 PM)mdp0430 Wrote: Hi,

I have a Prime (the one with the older, black feet).  I'm using it with a Soundsmith Aida (older squared corners version) going direct into a Plinius integrated.  My vinyl collection is about 1,500 records which are mostly audiophile MOFI, AP/QRP, Craft, RTI, etc.

I'm now looking to upgrade into a nice, forever phono preamp.  I've read good things about the Sutherland 20/20, I noticed Stereophile rated it Class A years ago.  I tend to hold on to my components for a long time.  I think my integrated is around 20 years old and I recently had it serviced - it sounds great with my old Cary CD player.  

Is the Sutherland a good match for the VPI?  I've also been considering the Manley Chinook but would prefer to stay solid state.  I see good things about Whest, but this seems to be a relatively new company, which I'm likely to shy away from.  

Then Chinook is an AWSOME Tube Preamp in that price range. I’m used it till i moved over the ARC
Mike in Austin

Thanks!
Avenger MK1 Reference, Fatboy 12” Uni, Koetsu Rosewood Platinum, Eagle/Roadrunner, Audio Sensibility Cabling, ARC Phono Ref 2, ARC Ref 5SE, ARC Ref75, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig, Stillpoints under all
(06-17-2022, 01:16 PM)mdp0430 Wrote: Hi,

Thanks!

I’ve heard both, although in different systems. If you prefer to stay SS, the Sutherland is a good choice. Nice phono pres made by a very nice guy.
VPI Avenger Direct (Serial #0001 Big Grin ), Fatboy gimbal 12”, various carts, Von Schweikert E SE, Pass XP20, Pass X260.8 monoblocks, PS Audio PST and DS DAC, Sonore ultraRendu, Matrix X-SPDIF2