Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7" Adapter for Prime?
I recently purchased a VPI Prime 21 and I absolutely love it. Easily the best sounding turntable I have ever owned.

I was playing some 7 inch records recently and have been having a tough time getting their large hole centered on the platter, and the clamp that works so great with 12 inch records is not effective for these smaller records. I searched for this online and was surprised a product like this has not yet come up. Is anything mass produced like this to screw into the spindle?
Hi Peter!

Depends on what you want to pay, but on Amazon just search for "45 spindle adapter" and you should get quite a few:

https://www.amazon.com/45-spindle-adapte...le+adapter

If you want to use the clamp, you will probably want to use some of the original yellow inserts: 
https://www.sleevecityusa.com/45-rpm-Spi...erts45.htm
Thanks for the response! I have one of those spindle adapters, but it overreaches the black grommet between the platter and the record and quite easily gets the record out of register with the spindle.

I love those yellow 45 adapters, but a bit of plastic juts out right around the rim, making a clamp not an option. Would love to see a flush metal version of this shape (if it would work)

I have also tried the very expensive Japanese clamp with a large ring for 45s. I ended up getting fingerprints all over the record just trying to play it.
Ah, now I see what's up. This is a bigger problem than I expected! Will keep searching...unless someone else has that perfect solution.
I don’t get it… just have a machine shop modify the clamp so there is a recess slightly larger than the 45 adapter… and done… This will allow you to use it with any record…

Delrin is very easy to machine…I will check mine when I get home, but if there is enough material, machining the clearance should be a breeze
Whoa listen to the music...

Wachuko
VPI Scoutmaster Refurbish, Prime Signature Motor (300 rpm), Prime Aluminum (20 lbs) Platter and Bearing, Delrin Record Clamp, JMW 9 3D Arm with Sumiko Blue Point No.2, Upgraded Classic Feet, Periphery Ring Clamp
Okya, I am home now...

Here, take a look... of course, if your clamp is made out of aluminum, same approach applies...

Just increase the inner recess so that the adapter just fits with some clearance...

Easier is you just make the clearance for the yellow adapters that are even thinner than some adapters (not like this thick aluminum adapter is).

Here is a base I made out of Delrin to raise the Pro-Ject Sweep It S2 that I am using with my VPI turntable...

It started as a block of Delrin since I did not have round stock...

[Image: file.php?id=116141&mode=view]

[Image: file.php?id=116142&mode=view]

Boring bar was used to carve out the center so the base of the brush would sit inside securely...

[Image: file.php?id=116145&mode=view]

Cut the bottom square excess.. and made a recessed area so it sits flat...

[Image: file.php?id=116149&mode=view]

Done

[Image: file.php?id=116146&mode=view]

And in use...

[Image: file.php?id=116147&mode=view]

[Image: file.php?id=116148&mode=view]

I am telling you... modifying the VPI Delrin clamp, would be easy... remove the cir-clip to get the holder out... secure on a lathe and bore out the material...

Give me a moment... let me give it a try with mine... will be right back.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wachuko
VPI Scoutmaster Refurbish, Prime Signature Motor (300 rpm), Prime Aluminum (20 lbs) Platter and Bearing, Delrin Record Clamp, JMW 9 3D Arm with Sumiko Blue Point No.2, Upgraded Classic Feet, Periphery Ring Clamp
Okay... I need to go back and give it a better finish.  But you get the idea.  Now the clamp works with any 45 adapter in place.

Mat should incorporate this into future clamp designs.  Easy mod for future production of clamps...

[Image: file.php?id=117532&mode=view]

Now that I know that depth works, I will give it another pass to get a better finish...

[Image: file.php?id=117528&mode=view]

Still with the rough cut... was just testing to make sure it all worked... I hope this was the OP wanted to accomplish.

[Image: file.php?id=117530&mode=view]

Wachuko
Wachuko, thanks for the excellent post. Great work! I have a feeling you might get contacted to do this work for some folks here on the forum!
(05-15-2022, 03:05 AM)bhjazz Wrote: Wachuko, thanks for the excellent post.  Great work!  I have a feeling you might get contacted to do this work for some folks here on the forum!

No, no, no, no...  Shy

I showed them what they needed to do... Use a mandrel to hold the clamp and machine away. I tested it myself to validate it worked fine.  That is my contribution...  Wink

I am no machinist... I just happen to have a lathe.  I am a complete ignorant with initiative Tongue ... I do not mind messing up my stuff, but I would not feel comfortable doing this for someone else.  Please do not take it the wrong way, it is just too much responsibility.

Those that need this, just take the part to a machine shop and have the modification done by a professional...

The only hope I have is that Mat can incorporate this design in future clamps... and maybe offer the new redesigned bottom for previous owners that would like to upgrade that part (if they have the need).

Wachuko
Okay... done now... Gave it a finishing cut.  Assembled everything back.

[Image: file.php?id=117573&mode=view]
[Image: file.php?id=117569&mode=view]
[Image: file.php?id=117570&mode=view]
[Image: file.php?id=117571&mode=view]

So even for this thick adapter, it works just fine...

[Image: file.php?id=117576&mode=view]
[Image: file.php?id=117574&mode=view]
[Image: file.php?id=117575&mode=view]

Wachuko