Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scout Jr Cart Recommendations
I have a Scout Jr with the factory mounted Ortofon 2m Red cart on it and I am thinking of upgrading to the Bronze.  I want to stay in the moving magnet world for now and possibly upgrade to the moving coil world down the line.  Are there other recommendation for a cart in a similar price catagory?

Thanks in advance
I really do not like the Ortofon 2m Red... I have it in my Pro-Ject turn table and can't wait to replace it with something better... I got it when my Sumiko Pearl broke... The Pearl was not available at the moment and I wanted something that could arrive quickly to continue to listen to my music...

I am going to go with a Sumiko Olympia for that Pro-Ject...

So yeah, anything, imho, is going to be better than the Red...
Whoa listen to the music...

Wachuko
VPI Scoutmaster Refurbish, Prime Signature Motor (300 rpm), Prime Aluminum (20 lbs) Platter and Bearing, Delrin Record Clamp, JMW 9 3D Arm with Sumiko Blue Point No.2, Upgraded Classic Feet, Periphery Ring Clamp
100% there are some solid upgrades form the Red. It is a nice baseline for when you are starting off. Cartridges that people have upgraded to with that table/arm have been the Audio Technica OC-9 Cartridges, Ortofon 2M Black (but if you aren't a fan of the red I would change cartridge families). Grado carts also love a gimbal arm so that is another option Smile
(05-12-2022, 04:00 PM)Mat Wrote: 100% there are some solid upgrades form the Red.  It is a nice baseline for when you are starting off.  Cartridges that people have upgraded to with that table/arm have been the Audio Technica OC-9 Cartridges, Ortofon 2M Black (but if you aren't a fan of the red I would change cartridge families).  Grado carts also love a gimbal arm so that is another option Smile

Thanks for the valuable input Mat.  I actually think the 2m Red is a pretty nice starting point and I have been pleased with it, I am just thinking it's time to move up the chain and start experimenting.  I will look into the ones you suggested.  I was thinking about the ortofon bronze and then (I think) you can swap out the stylus for the black in the future if I am so inclined, but I will check the other carts you suggested too to see what people are saying.

Thanks!