Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Platter thrust plate and bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N4
(05-17-2022, 08:54 PM)Brf Wrote: Here is a picture of the PEEK thrust plate. 

[Image: file.php?id=117753&mode=view]

Awesome!!!
Whoa listen to the music...

Wachuko
VPI Scoutmaster Refurbish, Prime Signature Motor (300 rpm), Prime Aluminum (20 lbs) Platter and Bearing, Delrin Record Clamp, JMW 9 3D Arm with Sumiko Blue Point No.2, Upgraded Classic Feet, Periphery Ring Clamp

Thanks for the photo.  Always wondered how thick the PEEK thrust plate was.  Pretty substantial.
(05-17-2022, 11:13 PM)Lcoblentz3 Wrote:

Thanks for the photo.  Always wondered how thick the PEEK thrust plate was.  Pretty substantial.

It’s 2.65mm thick
my last post did not make it on for some reason so I'll just say - "Nice Job", now remember the table will sound completely different and the ball will no longer be self lubricating. Have fun and let us know how it sounds.
Just to elaborate on what HW posted, the PEEK thrust plate is what creates a smearing system which transfers a thin lubricating film onto the micro finish of the SS ball. The benefit of PEEK is that they can be run dry, however, a synthetic grease is highly recommended and it helps to prevent premature wear.
Not clear for this newbie. Do I need to apply grease to the new setup?

Wachuko
VPI Scoutmaster Refurbish, Prime Signature Motor (300 rpm), Prime Aluminum (20 lbs) Platter and Bearing, Delrin Record Clamp, JMW 9 3D Arm with Sumiko Blue Point No.2, Upgraded Classic Feet, Periphery Ring Clamp
(05-18-2022, 03:46 AM)wachuko Wrote: Not clear for this newbie. Do I need to apply grease to the new setup?

100% YES!

Use a synthetic lithium based grease. Synthetic grease resists oxidation better than mineral based greases. A very popular grease used by many VPI users is Super Lube.
(05-18-2022, 10:27 AM)Brf Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 03:46 AM)wachuko Wrote: Not clear for this newbie.  Do I need to apply grease to the new setup?

100% YES!

Use a synthetic lithium based grease.  Synthetic grease resists oxidation better than mineral based greases. A very popular grease used by many VPI users is Super Lube.

Thank you.  I need to take it apart and apply the grease.  I have Super Lube in the garage that I can use.

Wachuko
I did the sapphire/SiNi conversion and I use Kryox lube which is formulated for EXTREME pressure applications. has worked well for the last few years.
https://www.mcmaster.com/krytox-grease/
I wish we had access to the old forum threads already. I remember having a problem with the first lube I used after I did the ball / thrust plate replacement. It might have been Kryox, but I can’t remember.  Sad
VPI Avenger Direct (Serial #0001 Big Grin ), Fatboy gimbal 12”, various carts, Von Schweikert E SE, Pass XP20, Pass X260.8 monoblocks, PS Audio PST and DS DAC, Sonore ultraRendu, Matrix X-SPDIF2