Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New forum same prime upgrade question
Hello.  Good to see some of you back.  I have a vpi prime turntable with a 3d Uni pivot arm.  The remaining equipment is ps audio stellar phono pre, don sachs linestage , decware Tori jr tube amp , spatial audio x5 speakers and an ortofon 2m black that’s strarting to get long in the tooth
Not unhappy with my sound but I have been contemplating whether to just upgrade my cart  or 
Go the whole way and upgrade to a signature 21 with a new cart as well of course.  
Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated
Hello, Jprod - I've got the same 'table as you. Every upgrade in cartridge I've made has been immediately apparent.  I don't know if the same could be said for buying another Prime model.
You could always get one later.
I'm going to give you a very honest opinion and then contradict myself some what.

Economically, upgrading the cartridge on your current table will give you the biggest performance gain for your dollar. IME, there is not that much of a performance gain by going from the Prime to a Prime Signature (I have limited experience with the Signature 21). Having said that, the Prime Signature (IMHO) is a very pleasing aesthetic upgrade over the Prime, therefore, you must factor in aesthetics into "your" upgrade practicality equation.

If performance is your main objective, I personally would skip over the Signature and go right for an Avenger, better aesthetics, performance, and a very versatile platform with respect to motor drives and tonearms.
Thank you both for your responses.  Yes a small part of the reason is aesthetics but performance is much more important in my equation.   
I was more interested in the potential sonic benefits the stock gimbaled fatboy would provide over my unipivot 3d arm. The 3d fatboys as a stand-alone are about  50% of the price of a signature without factoring in any trade ins of either the arm or the prime. 

Maybe a better way to go is to upgrade the cart first and then the player if necessary.  
I do love that rosewood though
(05-10-2022, 06:19 PM)Jprod Wrote: Thank you both for your responses.  Yes a small part of the reason is aesthetics but performance is much more important in my equation.   
I was more interested in the potential sonic benefits the stock gimbaled fatboy would provide over my unipivot 3d arm. The 3d fatboys as a stand-alone are about  50% of the price of a signature without factoring in any trade ins of either the arm or the prime. 

Maybe a better way to go is to upgrade the cart first and then the player if necessary.  
I do love that rosewood though

Check to see if Rosewood is still in stock/available as it has been discontinued.
Ok. Thanks for the heads up on the rosewood being discontinued.  I had no idea.  If it’s gone the piano black looks sleek as well.  Again, I don’t want to look at my turntable and say “ it’s beautiful but I’m not impressed  with the improvement in sound quality “
Just got off the phone with VPI. No plans to discontinue the rosewood
(05-12-2022, 03:10 PM)Jprod Wrote: Just got off the phone with VPI. No plans to discontinue the rosewood

Nice to see that VPI reversed their position. Always thought that the Rosewood was a nice aesthetic upgrade.
I love that finish! I actually have a slightly beaten up one off to this side for my own personal table to one day put together. Keep in mind I have a whole bunch of odd ball tables on the side for me to one day use as my primary home table! We will see which one actually ends up having it happen.

Technically the Rosewood is unavailable because it is almost impossible to get more. So we got as much as we could when we could. I'm hopeful by the time we go through the material we have the world will be (semi) back to normal and wood will be easier to get again. We did make a huge step in the right direction with a new potential supplier. I had plans for a "performance" line where any custom finish could be produced. COVID ruined that former vendor, but recently connected with someone who things our industry is the coolest he has ever seen and wants to be part of it.
Thanks for the update! Assuming you can’t get more and assuming current pace of sales with that table , what is your best guess before you run out of material ?