Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fatboy Uni Cueing Platform Too Short
This is a problem I've had since installing a Fatboy on my Aries 1. The cueing platform that the arm rests on is too short, so on most records, cueing at the end of the record causes the arm to tilt and even fall off into the spindle. I'm sure it's related to the geometry of the installation on the Aries although my brain can't comprehend how or why that would be. If the platform were 1/4" longer, the problem would be solved but I'm don't know how to accomplish that... so I just have removed the cueing mechanism and I just do it all by hand. I've had Well Tempered turntables in the past, so that's an easy solution for me but I'm starting to worry that I'm going to have an accident and damage the cartridge.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/AnaMighty DL103R
Can you post a photo of the cueing platform with the tonearm in the tonearm rest?
Loosen the cue barrel screw and rotate the entire mechanism towards the back of the table so that is approximates the arc of the tonearm. This will increase the effective length of the cue platform.
You read my mind, Brf. Pointing the cushioned lift bar at the axis of the VTA drum should solve the problem.
The FatBoy has a cushion dot that is to be installed where the arm meets the cue rest. It is not obvious when you get new FatBoy. That may be the issue

Mike in Austin
Avenger MK1 Reference, Fatboy 12” Uni, Koetsu Rosewood Platinum, Eagle/Roadrunner, Audio Sensibility Cabling, ARC Phono Ref 2, ARC Ref 5SE, ARC Ref75, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig, Stillpoints under all
I'll put the cueing back on the arm tomorrow and post a photo.

I tried pretty much every angle possible to get it to stick onto the end and there's no angle that worked.

I'll look into the cushion dot. I was not aware of that coming with the arm. Does anyone have a photo of that cushion dot? That would be very helpful.
(05-07-2022, 10:51 PM)Fishfood Wrote: I'll put the cueing back on the arm tomorrow and post a photo.

I tried pretty much every angle possible to get it to stick onto the end and there's no angle that worked.

I'll look into the cushion dot. I was not aware of that coming with the arm. Does anyone have a photo of that cushion dot? That would be very helpful.

If you’re missing the stick on dot you can contact VPI and they’ll send one your way.
VPI Avenger Direct (Serial #0001 Big Grin ), Fatboy gimbal 12”, various carts, Von Schweikert E SE, Pass XP20, Pass X260.8 monoblocks, PS Audio PST and DS DAC, Sonore ultraRendu, Matrix X-SPDIF2
Wouldn't one of those felt or silicone small round pads/dots work - eg like the ones you put under lamps to not scratch furniture.
VPI Classic 1 with VTA on-the fly & Fatboy Gimbal, PE Eagle/RR, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, VAS Nova HW & Soundsmith Paua
Anthem AVM70, Rogue RP-5, Rogue ST-100, VTV 7 ch amp, Oppo 203/103D, Cambridge CXNv2
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, S2, and HTM200SE's, 2 x Rythmik E15s
Forget using the round rubber dots/bumper, as a dome shape is not the best design.  Purchase a piece of self adhesive non slip grip tape or similar and cut a piece 1/2" long and 3/16" wide and place it longitudinal on the the tonearm and underneath the life platform.  This will create a single point ridge that will balance and support the arm.

Example of a suitable product https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000SL0KJC/ref=...=UTF8&th=1
Sorry, got distracted by other things. I have the dot on the bottom of the arm. I misunderstood the original suggestion/comment. I think it must be a geometry thing since the arm is on an Aries 1 and I had to rotate the armboard to get the spindle to pivot correct. I guess I'm wondering if there is a way to extend the cueing arm? The cueing mechanism for the Mark Levinson VPI is longer but it doesn't fit the Fatboy cueing lever cutout.