Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On The DIY Bench
Working on a vintage Kenwood car cassette player tonight.  Was hoping to move this to the DIY section but we seem to have a problem there.  Oh well. 

Here is the main board on the bottom of the unit.  Looks to me like all hand-soldered work.  Yow!  I am inside to lube the transport, clean the heads and possibly change the belt.  The black plastic pressure clip fell out (upper left hand corner of pic) - I'll need to figure out where it goes when I reassemble...ouch.

BTW: the yellow caps are all Elna. Nice quality!

I also found out how these old-school units used to save your radio presets: lithium battery. Seems pretty standard today, but this player is from the mid-80s. I think I found the location but can't figure out how to extract it just yet.
That's rad! Any plans to install it in a vehicle? I was raised on cassettes and have a soft spot for the format.
VPI Aries II / JMW-10,   Transrotor Fat Bob / Abis TA-1 turntables / tonearms
Koetsu Urushi,  Lyra Kleos,  47 Labs MCBee,  Dyna 17d3
JVC AX-z1010 integrated amp-DAC
Esoteric p700 CD transport
Sony SS-NA5es speakers
Not totally sure at this point. I was actually planning on using it for a workshop system along with my other vintage car audio gear. I have some Soundstream class A amplifiers and such. (nerd alert: yes, I did own a lowered mini truck back in the day.) I also have an Alpine 7939 so would have to have that one working as well.

I'm currently waiting for two different companies to get back to me with an exploded mechanical schematic so I can get that black pressure clip back in where it's supposed to be. I'm waving money at them! Come on, guys!
We might have just really kicked up our DIY options for a color finish stand point, but I'll leave it at that for now Wink
Mat, it sounds like you going to offer something like Wilson Audio and offer multiple plinth colors... Or an unfinished raw plinth that I can spray-paint in my back yard? (just kidding)

Found another seller of service manual last night, only he sent me the wrong one. My response, "Hey, this is the wrong one." his reply to that, "No, you can use it." Let's see, I have a cassette player and he sent me a CD player schematic. Sorry, no payments will be made!
(05-07-2022, 07:53 PM)bhjazz Wrote: I'm currently waiting for two different companies to get back to me with an exploded mechanical schematic so I can get that black pressure clip back in where it's supposed to be.  I'm waving money at them!  

As it turns out, the only person I trusted to get me the manual passed away recently and his family is trying to keep up.  Still waiting for an answer, although have found a few versions of the manual and neither show that part.  Crazy.  It came from the sky or something.  

I decided to reassemble the parts I have to see if anything worked or didn't work (Using the Meanwell SE-600-12).  As you can see, not only does it all work it has remarkably saved all of my radio presets.  Talk about a time capsule...  Cassettes work as well so I'm even more puzzled about the spare part.  Go figure.  I'll disassemble again and lube the remaining parts and sit out the wait for the service manual.