Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow speed after lubrication
"VPI recommends just SAE 40. "

They've been wrong before. I've used very light machine oil for my VPI motors since 2013. The speed accuracy and stability of my motor
is remarkable.
Also, use what madrac suggests for your platter bearing.
I'll need to learn to read more carefully......Just to clarify

The Prime Scout uses an oil bath bearing, therefore, 4-6 drops of synthetic SAE 30 or 40 motor oil is the recommended lubrication. Too much opil will create a vapor lock which will increase drag. Do not use grease.

Motor lubrication - low viscosity oil (sewing machine etc.)
Yikes! got me on that one, too! Good catch, Brf -
(04-13-2022, 04:17 PM)seamonster Wrote: Yikes! got me on that one, too! Good catch, Brf -

me too.  I just figured it used the grease based on what the OP said.
VPI Classic 1 with VTA on-the fly & Fatboy Gimbal, PE Eagle/RR, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, VAS Nova HW & Soundsmith Paua
Anthem AVM70, Rogue RP-5, Rogue ST-100, VTV 7 ch amp, Oppo 203/103D, Cambridge CXNv2
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, S2, and HTM200SE's, 2 x Rythmik E15s
Cleaned off all the gunk and there was a lot after using the whole syringe. Now Turntubulator shows it running at 33.55 - previously it was spot on a 33.3 - and RPM Pro is spot on at 33.33 when it previously showed a little slow. I am guessing these apps aren't super accurate. Now obsessed with getting a constant true 33.33. How best to achieve that? I have read the VPI ADS has some issues. Are there other ways to regulate turntable speed?
(04-13-2022, 10:19 PM)StratDoc Wrote: Cleaned off all the gunk and there was a lot after using the whole syringe.  Now Turntubulator shows it running at 33.55 - previously it was spot on a 33.3 - and RPM Pro is spot on at 33.33 when it previously showed a little slow.  I am guessing these apps aren't super accurate.  Now obsessed with getting a constant true 33.33.  How best to achieve that?  I have read the VPI ADS has some issues.  Are there other ways to regulate turntable speed?

Also posted this on Steve Hoffman forum, but look at the Sota Eclipse package.  Pricey but several members from the old forum reviewed favorably.  I use the Phoenix Engineering Eagle/Roadrunner, which I believe is the predecessor of the Sota system.
VPI Classic 1 with VTA on-the fly & Fatboy Gimbal, PE Eagle/RR, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, VAS Nova HW & Soundsmith Paua
Anthem AVM70, Rogue RP-5, Rogue ST-100, VTV 7 ch amp, Oppo 203/103D, Cambridge CXNv2
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, S2, and HTM200SE's, 2 x Rythmik E15s
There have been various platter bearing assemblies over the 20 year run of the Scout, a picture of the bearing would help.  

I never use these apps, they are not accurate enough for the OCD crowd but good enough to see where you are plus or minus whatever the error of the app is.  For exact accuracy get an old SDS and a strobe disc and set the speed to two place accuracy.  If accuracy is your thing this is it, if sound is your thing the ADS sounds the best of any after market speed setters.  The SOTA setup works well but is expensive and not necessary on a Scout, the speed of the Scout is locked to the line frequency and is very stable.

Your table needs no after market speed control, it has adjustments on the pulley to set the speed very closely.  Absolute sound is never the issue unless you are one in ten thousand with perfect pitch, speed stability is the measure of a great sounding table.

HW