Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12" Fatboy Unipivot Dual Pivot questions
(04-20-2022, 10:32 PM)Harry Wrote: BRF is correct, and usually is when it comes to setup.  Most of the time customers set the second pivot too heavy and cause the arm to have excess lateral friction after a few months.  Less is good as long as it stays locked to the mirror.

Take your time and do it with the cartridge mounted.  Good luck.

HW

Hi Harry,

Thanks for confirming the proper setup of the 2nd pivot and the warning regarding overloading.  I'm looking forward to hearing my cartridge in the Fatboy.  As always, your input is really appreciated.  

Wilson
This thread is strictly in regard to the 12" fatboy with a dual pivot. To make it clear to all, for example those with a Prime and 10" JMW 3D who have added a dual pivot, can anything written here be considered when setting-up the Prime (10" JMW with dual pivot)? or are the dual pivot set-ups specific to each model of TT and arm, anything common to all?  
Huh
Later, Robes-
Cool  
(04-21-2022, 04:33 PM)Robes Wrote: This thread is strictly in regard to the 12" fatboy with a dual pivot. To make it clear to all, for example those with a Prime and 10" JMW 3D who have added a dual pivot, can anything written here be considered when setting-up the Prime (10" JMW with dual pivot)? or are the dual pivot set-ups specific to each model of TT and arm, anything common to all?  
Huh

The general comments by Harry regarding setup of the dual pivot should apply to all VPI arms - most importantly, not overloading the pressure on the "second" pivot (dual pivot point).  

This thread was started because of the perceived difficulty I had setting up the dual pivot with the proper loading on the pivot point.  The DP itself was so heavy, its weight couldn't be offset by the opposing (right) side weight.  Earlier VPI arms have a heavy eccentric counterweight which makes leveling the cartridge for azimuth adjustment and proper loading fairly easy (the Counterintuitive makes it easier).  On the Fatboy, the counterweight is "symmetric" or concentric so proper loading on the pivot point can only be done with the 2 adjustable side weights.  This is the main difference in the DP setup between the Fatboy and other VPI arms.
I spoke with JR at Wally Tools and he has indicated that the WallySkater(Used for setting antiskate) is an excellent tool for helping to set up dual pivot. You may want to get him a call, he is very helpful. BTW I have the WallySkater and it is an excellent tool for antiskate. Just my $0.02

Mike in Austin
Avenger MK1 Reference, Fatboy 12” Uni, Koetsu Rosewood Platinum, Eagle/Roadrunner, Audio Sensibility Cabling, ARC Phono Ref 2, ARC Ref 5SE, ARC Ref75, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig, Stillpoints under all
(04-22-2022, 11:20 AM)lewisranchmike Wrote: I spoke with JR at Wally Tools and he has indicated that the WallySkater(Used for setting antiskate) is an excellent tool for helping to set up dual pivot. You may want to get him a call, he is very helpful. BTW I have the WallySkater and it is an excellent tool for antiskate. Just my $0.02

Mike in Austin

Thanks Mike.  I don't understand the nuances of setting up antiskating with the WallySkater but any tool that makes setup easier is worth a look.  Thanks for the recommendation to speak to JR at Wally Tools.  

Mike Fremer's article on the WallySkater also elicited some interesting comments from readers regarding antiskate.