Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Prime tone arm is sliding through the lead in groove, into 1st track. PROBLEM SOLVED
Post a picture of your tonearm setup, something is not correct. I find it interesting that the issue started once you got the cartridge back from Soundsmith. Did you try contacting Soundsmith?

If you use the VPI optional anti-skate device, please post a picture of the setup.
Shocked 
Sorry it took me a while to upload pics of my setup. They show the arm is level, side to side(azimuth) and front to back. they show the cantilever pretty close to spot on on the Mint protractor. I don't use the anti-skate and the photo shows the fishing line for it to be unencumbered. I have no twist in the lead out wire. 

Any thoughts?

A pic I missed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2016 Prime with 2021 arm, dual pivot, HW-40 feet, Graham Slee Assension for Moving coil with Engima power supply, Sonic Euphioria autoformer preamp, NuPrime ST-10 power amp, Usher BE-718 speakers, PS Audio P-500 Power Plant  
M3Ma, thanks for the pics. Is it just the perspective, or in the first pic is the cart body skewed to the left of the cantilever?
VPI Avenger Direct (Serial #0001 Big Grin ), Fatboy gimbal 12”, various carts, Von Schweikert E SE, Pass XP20, Pass X260.8 monoblocks, PS Audio PST and DS DAC, Sonore ultraRendu, Matrix X-SPDIF2
(04-08-2022, 10:39 PM)tony22 Wrote: M3Ma, thanks for the pics. Is it just the perspective, or in the first pic is the cart body skewed to the left of the cantilever?

It may be the perspective. With the Mint, you have to line up the reflections in the mirror so they appear to be a solid line, then you have to get the cantilever between the lines. Then to take the picture, i have to line up the camera to get the reflections to look like a solid line.  In the pic, it looks like the cantilever is a tiny bit off, but I didn't see it that way when I rechecked the setup, using a microfying glass. I'll check it again and let you know.

But as for the relationship between the body and the cantilever, I don't think the body is skewed. That is probably the camera angle.
2016 Prime with 2021 arm, dual pivot, HW-40 feet, Graham Slee Assension for Moving coil with Engima power supply, Sonic Euphioria autoformer preamp, NuPrime ST-10 power amp, Usher BE-718 speakers, PS Audio P-500 Power Plant  
(04-08-2022, 10:39 PM)tony22 Wrote: M3Ma, thanks for the pics. Is it just the perspective, or in the first pic is the cart body skewed to the left of the cantilever?

The perspective is indeed off. The right-most reflecting line is not square in the photo. Even so, M3Man, (it's a pain in the butt, I use a Mint, too), you can do better with the cantilever alignment. 
Have to say, I don't know if that will solve your unusual problem. I hope it does. I see you've got heavy screws already.
Fwiw the counterweight should not be rotated from vertical - ever.  That's the job of the SoundSmith.  WARNING - The following is conjecture (also known as BS):  The arm tracking inward on the up and outward on the down suggests the lemo wire is acting like a spring.  Compression and rebound in the easiest direction, dictated by the form of the bend.  Either that or the wires at the lemo have weakened and are acting like a pivot for the lemo "spring" and it's not springing much at all.  Maybe try a new bend and set azimuth with the SoundSmith.  good luck.
Per billo's conjecture, try the Gary Koh kink, as shown here -

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2020/05/1...118-monos/

If you try this, don't pull hard on the wire!
(04-09-2022, 02:04 PM)billo Wrote: Fwiw the counterweight should not be rotated from vertical - ever.

And if you don't use the soundsmith?

Also, from the photo with the Mint, it looks like the stylus is behind the arc. Plus it is twisted (even accounting for the parallax error), though I doubt these issues are causing the problem. What VTF do you have it set at?
[Image: full]
edwyun,
I give everyone credit to figure that out. Nit, nit, nit. This is now officially an audio forum.
Assuming that you setup is correct i.e. memo wire, alignment etc. this is what I believe is happening. 

The Charisma MC1 is a heavy low compliance cartridge with a titanium alloy cantilever. Titanium has a low modulus of elasticity, which means titanium is very flexible (anyone whomever rode a titanium framed bike knows how it really soaks up the bumps).

Soundsmith rebuilt the cartridge with a boron cantilever which by comparison is much stiffer than titanium alloy.  By replacing the titanium cantilever with boron that would reduce the cartridge’s compliance ever lower than it publish specifications. 

Lead in grooves by design to move the cartridge a ¼” towards the spindle in less than a half rotation, therefore, the stylus is not tangent to the groove and presents a very difficult tracking test.

When the stylus hits the lead-in groove, the energy generated is transferred through the stylus and into the tonearm.  For a cartridge to properly track, the tonearm’s effective mass must be sufficient enough to resist the energy created by the groove/stylus interface and allow the cartridge’s suspension to do its job.  If the cartridge’s compliance is too low for the tonearm’s effective mass, the energy will transfer up the stylus and into the tonearm thus causing the cartridge to jump the lead-in groove.  A common analogy is a car with a too stiff of a suspension going around a corner and hitting bump causing the car to skip.

One possible solution would be to increase the tonearm’s effective mass.  This can be done by adding a headshell weight.  You can experiment with this premise by taking 3 grams of blu-tak and placing it on you headshell (re-balance the VTF).  If this works, you can purchase a proper headshell weight.