Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastic Fantastic!
Agreed - beautiful table and nice room! Best, Robert
VPI Classic 1 with VTA on-the fly & Fatboy Gimbal, PE Eagle/RR, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, VAS Nova HW & Soundsmith Paua
Anthem AVM70, Rogue RP-5, Rogue ST-100, VTV 7 ch amp, Oppo 203/103D, Cambridge CXNv2
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, S2, and HTM200SE's, 2 x Rythmik E15s
(04-23-2022, 08:37 PM)tony22 Wrote: That’s a nice, comfy looking room!

(04-23-2022, 10:22 PM)madrac Wrote: Agreed - beautiful table and nice room! Best, Robert

Thanks to you both!
VPI Aries II / JMW-10,   Transrotor Fat Bob / Abis TA-1 turntables / tonearms
Koetsu Urushi,  Lyra Kleos,  47 Labs MCBee,  Dyna 17d3
JVC AX-z1010 integrated amp-DAC
Esoteric p700 CD transport
Sony SS-NA5es speakers
Trying out an EAR MC4 step-up...
[Image: gi.mpl?u=59400&f=p4291225.jpg]
Sony SS-NA5es speakers
That MC4 looks pretty flexible. Nice. Hope you are enjoying it. I jumped on the step-up transformer train in 2020 and may never go back. I went the DIY route and bought a kit from K&K Audio. Kevin Carter is a god among men, offering a ridiculously detailed website and would answer questions seemingly forever. He retired recently, so the kits are no longer available, which is sad. (I do understand he is transferring products to Erhard Audio, so maybe the kits will continue to be available.) First for my Delos, then for my Hana ML, I bought a kit with a pair of LL1931 transformers. Good stuff!
(04-30-2022, 08:22 PM)bhjazz Wrote: That MC4 looks pretty flexible.  Nice.  Hope you are enjoying it.  I jumped on the step-up transformer train in 2020 and may never go back.  I went the DIY route and bought a kit from K&K Audio.  Kevin Carter is a god among men, offering a ridiculously detailed website and would answer questions seemingly forever.  He retired recently, so the kits are no longer available, which is sad.  (I do understand he is transferring products to Erhard Audio, so maybe the kits will continue to be available.)  First for my Delos, then for my Hana ML, I bought a kit with a pair of LL1931 transformers.  Good stuff!

The MC4 is essentially 4 SUTs in once case.  That's one of the main features that attracted me.  I've only ever tried a few different step-ups, Eastern Electric (on-board Minimax phono), Cinemag 1131 courtesy of Bob's Devices, and Auditorium 23 (Denon 103 version) and eventually moved back to a solid-state MM/MC phono stage.   I have quite a handful of cartridges so the flexibility of the MC4 will make it easier to find optimum loading.  So far it's a very good match for my Koetsu seen in the photo from my previous post.
Sony SS-NA5es speakers
@bhjazz  Regarding your K&K comments...I've heard / read nothing but highly positive remarks about K&K products and Kevin himself.  I should have got one of his phono stages while I still had the chance.  I'll check out Erhard...thanks for the tip.

I guess that's to be expected from some of these one-man operations.  They want to retire too!
Sony SS-NA5es speakers
One man operation: Yes.  He mentioned in one of his emails to me (during my long questioning phase) that all he really wanted was to just have some time to solder!

As for the MC4, I had no idea it was that flexible.  Seems a great choice for owners of multiple turntables.
(05-05-2022, 03:07 AM)bhjazz Wrote: As for the MC4, I had no idea it was that flexible.  Seems a great choice for owners of multiple turntables.

I may have added to the confusion!

The MC4 has 4 inputs, but only one stereo output and no switching. It would not make a great choice for owners of multiple turntables, (that would require a switch) but it does allow cartridge swappers like my self a degree a flexibility.

[Image: gi.mpl?u=59400&f=p4291255.jpg]
Sony SS-NA5es speakers