Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HW-27 (Typhoon) RCM - power problem
Hello. Hoping for any pointers for an issue with my HW-27 RCM.

It was operating fine, cleaning a record with the vacuum in operation, when all of a sudden the power cut from the unit.
Neither the fluid pump, the platter, nor the vacuum do anything, no sign of any power whatsoever.
It's had moderate use over the last ten years.

I've tried a different power cord on the unit - no difference, and tried the initial cord on another appliance - it works fine.
I removed the ends of the unit (unplugged from power), to see if there was anything obvious, like a fuse I could change, but it's not that easy to see what's going on in there, without completely disassembling the unit. 

Not sure if this might be connected in any way, one thing I did notice about 18 months back, was the sound of the vacuum motor when it powered-down, like a slight metal-rubbing just before it comes to a stop. Is it possible the vacuum motor has packed in, would this have a knock-on effect on the unit to cease working?

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated, I can't find any other technical info on this unit except for the general manual.
Many thanks for reading.
gb
Unfortunately you will need to open it up and test the unit using a multimeter. RCM motors and pumps last a long time and the metal grinding noise you hear is simply the step down gears at work.
I can’t tell by your post, but did you check the power inline fuse? The fuse is located in small covered drawer and is part of the male IEC plug
(04-08-2022, 12:44 AM)Brf Wrote: I can’t tell by your post, but did you check the power inline fuse? The fuse is located in small covered drawer and is part of the male IEC plug

This is my vote. Vacuums can draw a tremendous amount of current at startup.
Many thanks for your replies.
I will check the fuse as recommended.
To confirm what others already posted, it does sound like a fuse issue so shouldn't be too difficult to get it back to keeping things clean Smile